Ravenala madagascariensis ID 030909GS1

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 3, 2009, 8:10:50 AM9/3/09
to indiantreepix
Ravenala madagascariensis Sonn., of family Strelitziaceae., commonly known as traveler's palm. It is believed that water collects at the base of leaf sheath, and traveler's in the desert use this water to quench their thirst. Native of Madagascar, naturalised in Mascarenes and cultivated in many tropical areas. I first saw this in Bangalore as postgraduate student in 1966.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi
India
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45
Ravenala-madagascariensis.1.jpg
Ravenala-madagascariensis-2.jpg

Satish Phadke

Sep 3, 2009, 11:36:53 AM9/3/09
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Oh nice to see its flowers. First time for me.
Dr Phadke

2009/9/3 Gurcharan Singh <sin...@sify.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

rashida atthar

Sep 4, 2009, 2:25:42 AM9/4/09
to sin...@sify.com, indian...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Gurcharan ji for the pics and info. How many years does it take before the trunk is seen?

regards,
Rashida.

From: sin...@sify.com
To: indian...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [indiantreepix:17523] Ravenala madagascariensis ID 030909GS1
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 17:40:50 +0530

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 4, 2009, 2:53:29 AM9/4/09
to rashida atthar, sin...@sify.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
just to add:

Ruffed lemurs are a known pollinator of this plant, and given the size
and structure of the inflorescences, as well as the lemur's
selectivity, method of feeding, and long muzzle, this relationship is
thought to have co-evolved.

Reference: Garbutt, Nick (2007). Mammals of Madagascar, A Complete
Guide. A&C Black Publishers. pp. 170–175.

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 4, 2009, 11:02:29 AM9/4/09
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Specimen in photograph is about 20 years old. The trunk starts appearing as the lower leaves fall off, within couple of years.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi