Fw: Re: [indiantreepix:10823] A flowering plant which attract many wasp species

raghu ananth

Apr 18, 2009, 11:18:58 AM4/18/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Neil,

Some info from daves garden,

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/82112/

A native from India to tropical East Africa. Graceful and elegant plant. Appears to have "weedy" tendencies in that it is naturalizing in many warmer regions of the US specifically the Hawaiian Islands. This plant appears to be on a "watch list" with the Pacific Island Ecosystems at Risk (PIER) organization in that it is "often escaping and forming large stands".

PlantFiles: Squirrel's tail
Justicia betonica
Family: Acanthaceae (ah-kanth-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Justicia (jus-TEE-see-ah) (Info)
Species: betonica (bet-OH-nee-kuh) (Info)

Bloom Time:
Late Winter/Early Spring
Mid Spring
Late Spring/Early Summer

Foliage:
Evergreen

Other details:
This plant is attractive to bees, butterflies and/or birds

Regards
Raghu