[efloraofindia:35747] ID request-240510-PKA2

Prashant awale

May 23, 2010, 10:33:57 PM5/23/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
Came across this plant at a Nursery near Karnala Bird Sanctuary, Panvel region.

Date/Time: 23-05-2010 / 12:07PM
Location: at a Nursery near Karnala Bird Sanctuary, Panvel region.
Habitat: Garden
Flowers White coloured, small in size (3 to 5mm) in cluster, petals 5, stamens 5.
Photograph of leaves enclosed.

regards
Prashant

IMG_7129.jpg
IMG_7124.jpg
IMG_7125.jpg
IMG_7122.jpg
IMG_7126.jpg

R. Vijayasankar

May 23, 2010, 10:58:03 PM5/23/10
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Hydrocotyle sp.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

Prashant awale

May 23, 2010, 11:24:18 PM5/23/10
to R. Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
Thanks Vijayasankar ji for the clue. I think this is Hydrocotyle prolifera (Apiaceae family).
regards
Prashant

Gurcharan Singh

May 23, 2010, 11:42:50 PM5/23/10
to Prashant awale, R. Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
Yes Prashant ji
I had uploaded this from Herbal Garden in Delhi

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

May 23, 2010, 11:57:50 PM5/23/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, R. Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
Hydrocotyle prolifera indeed the commonly known as Whorled Marsh-Pennywort , Take a look in the Flowers of India link where you will find the Gurcharan ji's photos http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Whorled%20Marsh-Pennywort.html

Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Kenneth Greby

May 24, 2010, 9:35:06 AM5/24/10
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Prashant--

Looks much like dollar weed, Hydocotyle umbellata, a noxious weed here in South Florida, USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocotyle_umbellata

Regards--
Ken.

May 24, 2010, 9:46:11 AM5/24/10
to tanay bose, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Tanay--

 I saw links to the other Hydocotyle species after I posted. If others feel comfortable with that species, I will not argue for H. umbellata.

 Trust me, if you don't have H. umbellata in your country, consider yourself blessed.

Regards--
Ken.

May 24, 2010, 9:47:42 AM5/24/10
to tanay bose, Kenneth Greby, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Dear Kenneth
H. umbellata and H. verticillata sometimes considered synonyms I think have flowers in umbels. This one has umbellate clusters at more than one node on proliferate axis sometimes also called H. verticillata var. triradiata.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

May 24, 2010, 10:15:09 AM5/24/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Kenneth Greby, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Thanks Ken and Gurcharan ji for your views , it reaaly helps me lot to know all the views which not helps to identifyt the plant correctly but also helps to get hold of good number of informations.
Tanay