(171109-SCS.1) - Wild flower on the roadside, Sonepat,Haryana

1 view

Suresh C. Sharma

Nov 18, 2009, 10:59:41 AM11/18/09
to indiantreepix
This beauty attracted my attention, growing on the roadside, Sonepat, Haryana.
ID help requested, pl.
17 Nov 09.
Best,
3.jpg
2.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Nov 18, 2009, 11:12:58 AM11/18/09
to Suresh C. Sharma, indiantreepix
... the wheatstraw celosia ... Celosia argentea var. spicata (syn. C. spicata)... in Marathi known as kurdu कुरडू ... not sure of local names in other parts of India.
Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 21, 2009, 3:38:38 AM11/21/09
to Dinesh Valke, Suresh C. Sharma, indiantreepix
Dinesh ji, here are other names

Hindi: Safed murga. sarwari. Sans: Vittuna. Beng: Swetmurga. Punjab: Sarwali, sil, sarpankha. Mar: Kurdu, kurada. Guj: Lapadi, lambadi. Tel: Gurugu, Panchechettu.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

mani nair

Nov 21, 2009, 3:43:27 AM11/21/09
to Dinesh Valke, Suresh C. Sharma, indiantreepix
It is from the amaranthus family and is a favorite of butterflies.

Thanks

Mani

On 11/18/09, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... the wheatstraw celosia ... *Celosia argentea* var. *spicata *(syn. *C.
> spicata*)... in Marathi known as kurdu कुरडू ... not sure of local names in
> other parts of India.
> Regards.
>

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 9:29 PM, Suresh C. Sharma <bush...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> This beauty attracted my attention, growing on the roadside, Sonepat,
>> Haryana.
>> ID help requested, pl.
>> 17 Nov 09.
>> Best,
>> Suresh C Sharma
>>
>> --
>> http://www.floraofharyana.blogspot.com
>> http://www.ponds-canals-and-countryside.blogspot.com
>>
>> --
>> .

Suresh C. Sharma

Nov 23, 2009, 3:52:15 AM11/23/09
to mani nair, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Thank you so much, Mani.
Best,
Suresh