ANDEC101 Scleropyrum pentandrum (Please validate)

Anurag Sharma

Dec 30, 2014, 11:13:54 PM12/30/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Agumbe, Karnataka
26th December 2014

Habit: Short tree
DSC_0681.jpg
DSC_0682.jpg
DSC_0683.jpg
DSC_0685.jpg
DSC_0688.jpg
DSC_0689.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jan 10, 2015, 4:40:36 AM1/10/15
to efloraofindia, Anurag Sharma

Some earlier relevant feedback:

efi page on Scleropyrum pentandrum

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

DSC_0681.jpg
DSC_0682.jpg
DSC_0683.jpg
DSC_0685.jpg
DSC_0688.jpg
DSC_0689.jpg

Nambiyath Balakrishnan

Jan 10, 2015, 5:01:06 AM1/10/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Anurag Sharma
Apparently it looks like Scleropyrum pentandrum. The inflorescence looks like a bisexual one.
However, I do not find any spines in the leaf-axils or leafless axils below.
Please dissect out the flowers and check with the species as given in Flora of India vol. 23, page 65 and the detailed illustrations on pages 66 & 67.
N.P. Balakrishnan

Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan

Jan 10, 2015, 7:03:11 AM1/10/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Anurag Sharma
Yes it isScleropyrum pentandrum (Dennst.) Mabb .(= S. wallichianum Arn.)

Anurag Sharma

Jan 16, 2015, 11:23:30 AM1/16/15
to indiantreepix
Thank you Dr. Santhan.

Anurag N. Sharma
BSc. (CBZ) 2nd Year
St. Josephs College
Bangalore

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 7:02 PM, Anurag Sharma <anurag...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello sir,

Thank you for your reply. I am currently not able to go back to this tree in Agumbe. But when I do in the next month or so, I will certainly dissect the flowers and check.

Thank you once again.

Anurag N. Sharma
BSc. (CBZ) 2nd Year
St. Josephs College
Bangalore

Anurag Sharma

Jan 29, 2015, 8:12:30 AM1/29/15
to indiantreepix, Tapas Chakrabarty

Dinesh Valke

Jan 29, 2015, 9:30:45 AM1/29/15
to Anurag Sharma, indiantreepix, Tapas Chakrabarty
Anurag, now that you brought up this possibility, the posted plant clearly seems to be Aporosa lindleyana.
The inflorescence of Scleropyrum pentandrum do not appear crooked like the ones here; moreover the spines are missing.
Regards.
Dinesh

Anurag Sharma

Jan 29, 2015, 11:35:22 AM1/29/15
to Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix, Tapas Chakrabarty
Yes sir.
Hoping that it proves to be correct.

J.M. Garg

Feb 6, 2015, 1:12:51 AM2/6/15
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Anurag Sharma, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Apparently it looks like Scleropyrum pentandrum. The inflorescence looks like a bisexual one.
However, I do not find any spines in the leaf-axils or leafless axils below.
Please dissect out the flowers and check with the species as given in Flora of India vol. 23, page 65 and the detailed illustrations on pages 66 & 67.
N.P. Balakrishnan

Yes it is Scleropyrum pentandrum (Dennst.) Mabb .(= S. wallichianum Arn.)- from santhan ji.

Please validate if this could possibly be Aporosa lindleyana of Euphorbiaceae. Please also refer Dinesh sir's post of the same- https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/indiantreepix/scleropyrum/indiantreepix/yOjssqBmZZ0/qgmP85BVrF4J

Anurag, now that you brought up this possibility, the posted plant clearly seems to be Aporosa lindleyana.

The inflorescence of Scleropyrum pentandrum do not appear crooked like the ones here; moreover the spines are missing.
Regards.
Dinesh

efi page on Aporosa cardiosperma (Syn: Aporosa lindleyana (Wight) Baill);

Feb 6, 2015, 5:30:16 AM2/6/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com, dinesh...@gmail.com, anurag...@gmail.com, ponsa...@gmail.com

This looks like Aporosa lindleyana to me. I am not familiar with Scleropyrum pentandrum.

Regards,
Sandhya

Dinesh Valke

Feb 6, 2015, 5:37:49 AM2/6/15
to harithasandhya, efloraofindia, Anurag Sharma, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan
Thank you very much Garg ji for resurfacing the post.
Thank you very much Sandhya ji for sharing your pictures and the ID. Now I am sure, Anurag's posted plant is Aporosa lindleyana.
Regards.
Dinesh

Anurag Sharma

Feb 9, 2015, 12:29:17 PM2/9/15
to Dinesh Valke, harithasandhya, efloraofindia, Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan
Thank you very much ma'am.