is this silk cotton?

kaushal

Dec 26, 2008, 1:50:56 AM12/26/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
request for id

Location: XLRI Jamshedpur

Best Regards,
Kaushal Chandak
+(91) 9955 371503
www.kaushal.info
DSC00765.JPG
DSC00766.JPG
leaves.JPG

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Dec 27, 2008, 3:45:57 AM12/27/08
to kaushal, indian...@googlegroups.com
looks like that. Either bombax ceiba or kapok.
akbhatt

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

figtree

Dec 27, 2008, 4:11:44 AM12/27/08
to indiantreepix
Looks like Bombax ceiba (simul) , not Ceiba pentranda (Silk cotton- or
safed simul)

On Dec 27, 1:45 pm, "Anand Kumar Bhatt" <anandkbh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> looks like that. Either bombax ceiba or kapok.
> akbhatt

Nudrat

Dec 28, 2008, 11:44:02 PM12/28/08
to indiantreepix
Hello

The tree in picture is most certainly not Ceiba pentandra as C.
pentandra has green trunk. If the main trunk has thorn then its
Bombax ceiba and if the main trunk hasnt got thorns then it is Bombax
insigne.

Barry Stock

Dec 28, 2008, 11:59:28 PM12/28/08
to Nudrat, indiantreepix
Ceiba pentandra is highly variable:

Green trunk thorns

Green trunk smooth

Grey trunk thorns

Grey trunk smooth

It's only the flower that matters.

Also, Bombax ceiba foliage tends to be larger and much more deeply acuminate at the tips than Ceiba pentandra.

Thorns on Bombax ceiba tend to be smaller than those on a thorned Ceiba pentandra, and thorns are ubiquitous on Bombax ceiba.

My guess when I saw the tree was C. pentandra, and since the ones in my yard are beginning to flower, I would guess that the answer is not far off for this one either.

Barry Stock
Hollywood, Florida, USA

J.M. Garg

Dec 29, 2008, 4:07:12 AM12/29/08
to Barry Stock, Nudrat, indiantreepix
As per my personnel observations in Kolkata, I will go for Bombax ceiba.  Ceiba pentandra was leafless & started flowering now in Kolkata.
Here are details about it (Bombax ceiba) from Indiantreepix Database:
Bombax ceiba (B. malabaricum, Salmalia malabarica) Bombacaceae Semal, Red silk cotton, Shembal, Semur  It's flowering already reported in Feb.'08 near Badalapur, Maharastra by Mangesh ji, in Mumbai by Kiran ji & near Pune by Satish ji. Seen flowering in Bassein fort - Vasai, District Thane on 17th and 24th February 2008 as per Sweedle Cerejo. Bombax ceiba have begun flowering but in many of the Bombax flowering is yet to be initiated in Nagpur as per Rohit. Flowering in full bloom on 24/2/08 at Moodlu Koppal, Mysore district as per Raghu. Blooming all over in Delhi- first noted was in 2nd week of Feb.- Rita ji. Flowering in March' 08  - Juhu Scheme (Mumbai), Sanjay Gandhi National Park(SGNP) (Borivali & Thane) Maharashtra- 14/3/08- Tejal ji. Flowering in March-2006- Debasish ji- Kolkata. Beautiful Trees & Shrubs of Calcutta by Sh. R.K. Chakraverty & S.K.Jain states that flowering occurs in early spring (Feb.- March).  Trees of Delhi states  that though flower buds appear long before, first flowers wink on in Feb.; prime time in Delhi is early to mid March.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombax_ceiba Bombax ceiba (Semal/ Cotton tree or tree cotton/ Bombax/ Red Silk Cotton) - indiantreepix | Google Groups Bombax ceiba **** - indiantreepix | Google Groups Bombax Malabaricum -Id Confirmation-08052008Raghu1 - indiantreepix | Google Groups Bombax ceiba - Google Image Search