Antigonon leptopus (Coral Vine, Anantalata or Icecream flowers)

J.M. Garg

Sep 23, 2008, 10:18:04 PM9/23/08
to indiantreepix
On 7/9/08 in Gandipet, Hyderabad, AP. At several places it was looking really beautiful with ful area covered with these lovely flowers of the climber.
Details & links from Indiantreepix Database:
Antigonon leptopus Polygonaceae Coral Vine, Anantalata, icecream flowers   In September,2006- at the side of the railway track near Dankuni (Dist. Hooghly).  Antigonon leptopus - Coral Vine - Polygonaceae Help me to identify this flowering plant. - indiantreepix | Google Groups http://www.floridata.com/ref/A/anti_lep.cfm pink flower - indiantreepix | Google Groups

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Sep 24, 2008, 12:37:57 PM9/24/08
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Gargji!  I have a sad association with this lovely creeper. The flowers are a beauty, the creeper is hardy and fast growing, but I have mostly seen this creeper on old crumbling large houses and ruins. So inspite of its being such a satisfying plant, I have never thought of it as a garden flower. Maybe it is my personal prejudice, I can't help it.
Best wishes,
akbhatt

Geeta Rane

Sep 25, 2008, 1:24:52 AM9/25/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, indiantreepix

Dear

YES! I too have been given same information from my friend of Goa that although they look delicate and cute; growing such creepers on house brings bad omen,
this is some years back now, I did not believe it.   I took the positive meaning from that these species may enjoy to grow nicely in isolations, BUT never dared to plant it in my house.

Thanks Mr Bhattsir, for sharing information,

With prayers

geeta

bindu kapadia

Sep 25, 2008, 1:39:56 AM9/25/08
to Geeta Rane, Anand Kumar Bhatt, indiantreepix
 Besides they are always full of large ants!! Which one i dont know.
Regards,
Bindu

Geetha Jaikumar

Sep 25, 2008, 7:01:42 AM9/25/08
to bindu kapadia, Geeta Rane, Anand Kumar Bhatt, indiantreepix
Antigonam tends to swamp all the native species of plants and generally lives up to its name of being an invasive species! In the campus of the Theosophical Society where I stay, they had to literally wage a war to weed it out in order to enable the native flora to survive.

Geetha Jaikumar

Mahadeswara Swamy

Sep 25, 2008, 9:21:19 AM9/25/08
to Geetha Jaikumar, bindu kapadia, Geeta Rane, Anand Kumar Bhatt, indiantreepix
 I surveyed the trees in Theosophical society and found  more than 120 species of trees.  Theosophical society has the highest number of tree species in Chennai  but most of them are introduced (more than 70%); mostly planted by visitors from different countries.   I really wonder to know  that  TS is waging a war against the introduced species!

Share files, take polls, and make new friends - all under one roof. Click here.