ID reqd. of this Capparaceae family plant

Rajesh Sachdev

May 4, 2009, 12:06:20 PM5/4/09
to indiantreepix
Hi all,
kindly suggest the ID of this shrub photographed at Kanheri junction,
Sanjay Gandhi National Park last sunday.

--
Best Regards
Rajesh Sachdev

ID.jpg

satish phadke

May 4, 2009, 12:16:13 PM5/4/09
to Rajesh Sachdev, indiantreepix
Looks like Maerua oblongifolia.  It is like a climber or a climbing shrub.
Satish

2009/5/4 Rajesh Sachdev <leopa...@gmail.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

J.M. Garg

May 4, 2009, 12:23:19 PM5/4/09
to satish phadke, Rajesh Sachdev, indiantreepix

More details of Maerua oblongifolia from Indiantreepix Database:

2009/5/4 satish phadke <phadke...@gmail.com>

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Dinesh Valke

May 4, 2009, 12:52:38 PM5/4/09
to J.M. Garg, Rajesh Sachdev, satish phadke, indiantreepix
... many thanks for sharing this flower ... I think I have mistaken it for Capparis sepiaria ... friends, please validate http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=int&w=91314344@N00&q=Capparis+sepiaria&m=text
Regards.

Tabish

May 4, 2009, 1:15:21 PM5/4/09
to indiantreepix
Maerua oblongifolia, as the species name suggests, has oblong leaves.
I think, this one should be Capparis sepiaria, so should be Dinesh's
flower.
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Wild%20Caper%20Bush.html
- Tabish

On May 4, 9:52 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... many thanks for sharing this flower ... I think I have mistaken it
> for *Capparis
> sepiaria* ... friends, please validatehttp://www.flickr.com/search/?s=int&w=91314344@N00&q=Capparis+sepiari...
> Regards.
>
> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 9:53 PM, J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  More details of *Maerua oblongifolia* from Indiantreepix Database:
> >         *Maerua oblongifolia (syn. Capparis oblonyifolia, Maerua
> > angustifolia, Maerua dasyura, Maerua rogeani)     * *CAPPARACEAE* *Kaba* 11/3/06
> > at Asola Bhatti WLS in Delhi; 31/1/08- on Vetal tekdi Pune; 16 march'09 in
> > smiriti van, Jaipur; Maerua oblongifolia - indiantreepix | Google Groups<http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/bc4...> Is
> > this also Maerua oblongifolia - indiantreepix | Google Groups<http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/57a...> Aluka
> > - Maerua oblongifolia (Forssk.) A.Rich. [family CAPPARACEAE]<http://www.aluka.org/action/showCompilationPage?doi=10.5555/AL.AP.COM...> PLEASE
> > ID DB-116 - indiantreepix | Google Groups<http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/3...>
> >http://fleurs.cirad.fr/fleurs_d_afrique_tropicale/m/maerua_oblongifolia
> >http://books.google.co.in/books?id=1kHNgLyXbJUC&pg=RA1-PA52&lpg=RA1-P...<http://books.google.co.in/books?id=1kHNgLyXbJUC&pg=RA1-PA52&lpg=RA1-P...>
>
> > 2009/5/4 satish phadke <phadke.sat...@gmail.com>
>
> >> Looks like *Maerua oblongifolia*.  It is like a climber or a climbing
> >> shrub.
> >> Satish

Dinesh Valke

May 4, 2009, 1:28:15 PM5/4/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Many many thanks, Tabish, for the validation.
If the species' flowers look so similar, and are diffrentiated visually by leaves ... any further quick-striking differences ?

Tabish

May 4, 2009, 1:37:40 PM5/4/09
to indiantreepix
Maerua oblongifolia flowers are borne singly in leaf axils.
Capparis sepiaria flowers are borne in clusters at the end of
branches.
Best wishes
- Tabish

On May 4, 10:28 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Many many thanks, Tabish, for the validation.
> If the species' flowers look so similar, and are diffrentiated visually by
> leaves ... any further quick-striking differences ?
> Regards.

Dinesh Valke

May 4, 2009, 1:43:49 PM5/4/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
oh !! many thanks Tabish, Rajesh and Satish ji.

satish phadke

May 5, 2009, 10:06:57 AM5/5/09
to Dinesh Valke, Tabish, indiantreepix
Yes point noted. I was wrong. The leaves are characteristic of the species.
Cheers.
Satish

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

Navendu

May 5, 2009, 4:51:27 PM5/5/09
to indiantreepix
its more likely to be capparis pedunculosa, sepiaria is a arid area
plant common in aravalis hill ranges. so unlikely you will find it in
mumbai

navendu

Dinesh Valke

May 5, 2009, 11:36:04 PM5/5/09
to Navendu, indiantreepix
... BUT, C. sepiaria finds mention in Ingalhalikar''s FFOS as well as Kehimkar's Common Wildflowers of India. I am sure it is found around Mumbai, I find them even among the mangroves along Vasai creek.

Navendu, the photos put in this post may OR may not be of C. sepiaria, which is for you to stress upon, Both (Rajesh's as well as mine) are from Sanjay Gandhi National Park, found growing wild.

Regards.

Dinesh Valke

May 6, 2009, 3:29:22 AM5/6/09
to navendu page, Indian Tree Pix
... here are the photos of C. sepiara (what I believe !!) found at Nagla block (of Sanjay Gandhi National Park), near Vasai creek.

Click on photos to reach pages on flickr;
... these photos would most likely be seen as mere URLs in IndianTreePix group's pages.

Regards.

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 12:10 PM, navendu page <navend...@gmail.com> wrote:

yes the ones on FOS are from really dry and arid areas near belgaon, I am not sure where Kehimkar has photographed it. But your mangrove observation is interesting.

Do you have any more pictures of it. I would like to see them

regards
navendu

Dinesh Valke

May 6, 2009, 11:48:41 AM5/6/09
to Rohit Patel, Indian Tree Pix
... many thanks for validation, Rohit ... though Navendu has different thoughts.
Regards.

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Rohit Patel <rmpec...@gmail.com> wrote:
definetly this capparis sepiara

--
ROHITKUMAR M.PATEL
Junior Research  Fellow

Dinesh Valke

May 6, 2009, 11:18:27 PM5/6/09
to Indian Tree Pix
... inadvertently missed sending this mail to the Group.
Regards.

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 9:29 PM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
oh!!!
Navendu, if you are certain that it is not C. sepiaria, your validation becomes more important than Rohit who is positive about it.
C. pedunculosa (synonym of C. rotundifolia) is described in FOS ... BUT it is found at higher elevations.

Any further enlightenment will help (calling both Navendu as well as Rohit).

Regards.

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 4:21 PM, navendu page <navend...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am pretty certain its not sepiaria, I think its pedunculosa or C. rotundifolia (although leaves may not be necessarily rotund)

navendu

Rajesh Sachdev

May 6, 2009, 11:27:23 PM5/6/09
to indiantreepix
I think my flower has created a healthy discussion on egroup. Let's
see what is the conclusion.
--

Regards
Rajesh Sachdev
www.rajesh-sachdev.blogspot.com

Hemanth

May 7, 2009, 12:27:52 AM5/7/09
to Rajesh Sachdev, indiantreepix
Well, there has been so much of a discussion on this plant.

This one posted by Rajesh is for sure Capparis sepiaria. This species is
commonly found in seasonal forests with lot of slopes like Sanjay Gandhi
national park.

Dinesh Valke

May 8, 2009, 1:24:36 AM5/8/09
to navendu page, Indian Tree Pix
Thanks very much, Navendu.
Regards, ... earlier dialog follows:

from: navendu page <navend...@gmail.com>
to: Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com>
date: Fri, May 8, 2009 at 12:55 AM
subject: Re: [indiantreepix:11685] Re: ID reqd. of this Capparaceae family plant

what was the habit of the plant. was it a erect shrub or a woody climber?

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

from: Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com>
to: navendu page <navend...@gmail.com>
date: Fri, May 8, 2009 at 8:43 AM
subject: Re: [indiantreepix:11685] Re: ID reqd. of this Capparaceae family plant

... it was a woody climber.

from: navendu page <navend...@gmail.com>
to: Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com>
date: Fri, May 8, 2009 at 9:45 AM
subject: Re: [indiantreepix:11685] Re: ID reqd. of this Capparaceae family plant

in that case I am afraid its Capparis sepiaria