Root Vegetable For ID : California : 14DEC14 : AK-42

Aarti S. Khale

Dec 14, 2014, 11:38:17 AM12/14/14
to efloraofindia
Root vegetable seen at the Farmers Market in Fremont.
Similar to Turnips, but white in color.
Is this Jicama?
Aarti
Farmers Market,Fremont,California-DSCN1026.JPG
Farmers Market,Fremont,California-DSCN1027.JPG
Farmers Market,Fremont,California-DSCN1052.JPG

Ushadi Micromini

Dec 14, 2014, 2:39:19 PM12/14/14
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia

Usha di
===========

Ushadi Micromini

Dec 14, 2014, 2:41:35 PM12/14/14
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
and this interesting one...
turnips look very similar to yours and he write well

http://www.100miles.com/najat-kaanache-chef-in-training/

--
Usha di
===========

boromir

Dec 14, 2014, 8:12:51 PM12/14/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com, aarti...@gmail.com
Looks like a swede or a rutabaga to me. Jicamas are more rounded. I remember seeing these in Europe and was told these were rutabagas.

Aarti S. Khale

Dec 14, 2014, 10:43:44 PM12/14/14
to Ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Usha Di,
Thanks for the links.
They are probably Turnips.
Regards,
Aarti

Aarti S. Khale

Dec 14, 2014, 10:50:08 PM12/14/14
to boromir, Ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Boromir Ji,
Thanks for the suggested id.
I will wait for further comments.
I have seen Jicama in a store.
As you have stated, it was rounded.
I will post it separately.
Regards,
Aarti

Ushadi Micromini

Dec 16, 2014, 11:45:50 AM12/16/14
to boromir, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale
esp Boromir   Mr  Vikram  Doctor

A couple of years ago you wrote about Jicama in economic times ..
nice to know you.

==

these here seem to be turnips

and Aarti's other thread seem to be the jicama of the grocery stores..

otherwise one of us has to go to sanfransisco and and taste taste them!! delightful prospect..
usha di

Usha di
===========

J.M. Garg

Dec 25, 2014, 3:16:00 AM12/25/14
to efloraofindia, raymond...@gmail.com, Aarti S. Khale, Ushadi Micromini

Some earlier relevant feedback:

and this interesting one...

turnips look very similar to yours and he write well
http://www.100miles.com/najat-kaanache-chef-in-training/

--

Usha di

Looks like a swede or a rutabaga to me. Jicamas are more rounded. I remember seeing these in Europe and was told these were rutabagas.- from Boromir ji

Boromir Ji,

Thanks for the suggested id.
I will wait for further comments.
I have seen Jicama in a store.
As you have stated, it was rounded.
I will post it separately.
Regards,
Aarti
esp Boromir Mr Vikram Doctor
A couple of years ago you wrote about Jicama in economic times ..
nice to know you.
==
these here seem to be turnips
and Aarti's other thread seem to be the jicama of the grocery stores..
otherwise one of us has to go to sanfransisco and and taste taste them!! delightful prospect..
usha di

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

Farmers Market,Fremont,California-DSCN1026.JPG
Farmers Market,Fremont,California-DSCN1027.JPG
Farmers Market,Fremont,California-DSCN1052.JPG

Aarti S. Khale

Dec 25, 2014, 3:19:35 AM12/25/14
to J.M. Garg, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Raymond Doctor, Ushadi Micromini
Garg Ji,
I had found a link suggesting Jicama and looking exactly like my pictures.
May be Gurcharan Ji can have a look.
Aarti