Herb from Ooty for id 160211MK3

Muthu Karthick

Feb 16, 2011, 1:47:46 AM2/16/11
to indiantreepix
Dear all,
Please help to id this trailing herb. Photographed on a private garden floor at Ooty, Nilgiris.

Date/Time-

24-01-2011 / 11:10 AM

Location- Place, Altitude, GP

ca.2200asl; Ooty, TN

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

garden floor

Plant Habit-

herb

Height/Length-

15 cm long

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

ca.3 x 2 cm;

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

c. 0.3 cm across

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

Muthu Karthick, N
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 0091 96268 33911
www.careearthtrust.org

IMG_3513.JPG
IMG_3507.JPG
IMG_3508.JPG
IMG_3509.JPG
IMG_3510.JPG
IMG_3511.JPG
IMG_3512.JPG

Nidhan Singh

Feb 16, 2011, 3:35:37 AM2/16/11
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Hi,
Can it be any Stellaria sp. from Caryophyllaceae?

--
Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 16, 2011, 3:52:11 AM2/16/11
to Nidhan Singh, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Yes looks like Stellaria media

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Muthu Karthick

Feb 16, 2011, 4:22:09 AM2/16/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Nidhan Singh, indiantreepix
But isn't the flowers [petals] are smaller on my plant sir? when compared to S. media

Muthu Karthick

Feb 16, 2011, 6:19:09 AM2/16/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Nidhan Singh, indiantreepix
A reply from Amitji - - is it Arenaria serpyllifolia L.

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 16, 2011, 7:31:29 AM2/16/11
to Muthu Karthick, Nidhan Singh, indiantreepix
Muthu ji
Arenaria was my first reaction also, but the basic difference between Arenaria and Stellaria is that the petals of Arenaria are entire (and one would see only 5), and deeply bi-lobed in Stellaria (giving the appearance of 10). One can clearly see 8-10 in your photographs.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Muthu Karthick

Feb 17, 2011, 12:08:18 AM2/17/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Nidhan Singh, indiantreepix
Yes, Gurucharan sir, many many thanks for the valuable input. Now I could confirm this plant with deeply lobed petals as Stellaria media (L.) Vill. of Caryophyllaceae.