Salvia-moorcroftiana-macrosiphon-sclarea from Kashmir: two plants and three species-part2

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 22, 2010, 10:54:00 PM8/22/10
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India

This is the second plant which on the basis of leaves I would confortably place with S. sclarea (or may be S. macrosiphon) but membranous bracts are lacking. The leaves are broadly ovate-cordate reaching 25 cm in width, corolla is white with tube slightly exceeding calyx. Photographed from Baramula on June 24, 2010.
--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Salvia-moorcroftiana-macrosiphon-sclarea-Kashmir-a.jpg
Salvia-moorcroftiana-macrosiphon-sclarea-Kashmir-b.jpg
Salvia-moorcroftiana-macrosiphon-sclarea-Kashmir-c.jpg
Salvia-moorcroftiana-macrosiphon-sclarea-Kashmir-d.jpg
Salvia-moorcroftiana-macrosiphon-sclarea-Kashmir-e.jpg

Nayan Singh

Aug 22, 2010, 11:27:01 PM8/22/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Nice pictures and great work Gurcharan ji, thanks for sharing.
Nayan
N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Aug 23, 2010, 12:23:20 AM8/23/10
to tanay bose, Nayan Singh, efloraofindia
The only problem Tanay is that Corolla tube is Macrosiphon is much slender and longer.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 23, 2010, 12:50:47 AM8/23/10
to tanay bose, Nayan Singh, efloraofindia

tanay bose

Aug 23, 2010, 1:23:33 AM8/23/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Nayan Singh, efloraofindia
May be I am wrong or this is ecotype.
tanay

J.M. Garg

Oct 2, 2010, 2:19:14 AM10/2/10
to efloraofindia

Earlier relevant feedback:

“I think this is Salvia macrosiphon
Tanay”

“The only problem Tanay is that Corolla tube is macrosiphon is much slender and longer.

--

Dr. Gurcharan Singh”

“A link for S. macrosiphon

Dr. Gurcharan Singh

"May be I am wrong or this is ecotype.
tanay"

Tabish

Oct 2, 2010, 3:09:14 AM10/2/10
to efloraofindia
From the only a little amount the flower tube is protruding out of the
sepal cup, I would think this is Salvia sclarea. I have no experience
with S. macrosiphon, so cannot comment on it. S. moorcroftiana flowers
protrude out of the sepal cup more than this. Also, bracts in Salvia
sclarea are supposed to be nearly as long as the flowers, which agrees
with the pics of the white flowers here. White color is consistent
with Salvia sclarea. Haven't compared other aspects.
- Tabish
>  Salvia-moorcroftiana-macrosiphon-sclarea-Kashmir-a.jpg
> 395KViewDownload
>
>  Salvia-moorcroftiana-macrosiphon-sclarea-Kashmir-b.jpg
> 371KViewDownload
>
>  Salvia-moorcroftiana-macrosiphon-sclarea-Kashmir-c.jpg
> 177KViewDownload
>
>  Salvia-moorcroftiana-macrosiphon-sclarea-Kashmir-d.jpg
> 203KViewDownload
>
>  Salvia-moorcroftiana-macrosiphon-sclarea-Kashmir-e.jpg
> 119KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 24, 2010, 10:41:28 AM10/24/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia