Please help me to identify this aquatic plant

Ayan Mukherjee

Apr 20, 2021, 11:56:03 PM4/20/21
to E Flora India

Date/Time- 21/04/2021

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- West Medinipur, West Bengal

Habitat- Wild

Plant Habit- Rooted hydrophyte, with completely submerged leaf

Only a little part was outside the water

Inflorescence Type/ Size- Not found

Is it Potomogeton crispus?

IMG20210421073629.jpg
IMG20210421073613.jpg
IMG20210421073459.jpg

Paradesi Anjaneyulu

Apr 21, 2021, 1:35:19 PM4/21/21
to efloraofindia
Halophila,
With regards.

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 04/21/21, 11:04:40 PM

J.M. Garg

Apr 26, 2021, 5:35:11 AM4/26/21
to efloraofindia, Ayan Mukherjee, Paradesi Anjaneyulu
There are two different plants here.
One with sinuate margins may be Potamogeton crispus L.
Other may be some Aponogeton species as per comparative images herein.

With regards,
J.M.Garg
IMG20210421073629.jpg
IMG20210421073613.jpg
IMG20210421073459.jpg

Ayan Mukherjee

Apr 26, 2021, 6:31:51 AM4/26/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Paradesi Anjaneyulu
Please look into this.
I must say that is only one plant. Part which was above water had such strange leafs.
As I have collected and kept it in a freshwater tank, today I find that roots are emerging from that part.
I also attached a image which I captured just after uprooting the plant from its habitat.
IMG20210426155531.jpg
IMG20210421074049.jpg

J.M. Garg

Apr 26, 2021, 7:07:57 AM4/26/21
to efloraofindia, Ayan Mukherjee, Paradesi Anjaneyulu
Thanks, Ayan ji
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

May 1, 2021, 8:33:34 AM5/1/21
to efloraofindia, Ayan Mukherjee

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Halophila- from Paradesi ji

There are two different plants here.
One with sinuate margins may be Potamogeton crispus L.

Other may be some Aponogeton species as per comparative images herein. - from me

Please look into this.
I must say that is only one plant. Part which was above water had such strange leafs.
As I have collected and kept it in a freshwater tank, today I find that roots are emerging from that part.

I also attached a image which I captured just after uprooting the plant from its habitat.- from Ayan ji

May 1, 2021, 12:39:24 PM5/1/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ayan Mukherjee
I do not recall if I ever came across either of the two genera.
However, since the upper leaves are floating, as per "Bengal Plants", it would be Potamotgeton indicus Roxb = P. nodosus Poir. - https://www.gbif.org/occurrence/gallery?taxon_key=5301233

Please, note Potamogeton has creeping rootstock, while Aponogeton features tuberous rootstock.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Surajit Koley