For ID-100309-RK

ranjini kamath

Mar 10, 2009, 12:05:34 PM3/10/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
The first pic is of flowers + leaves.These flowers are bigger than
those of T.pallida & tho they look pinkish are much lighter than
T.pallida-almost white.Request ID please.
Thank you.
Ranjini Kamath
Lalbagh-March th '09-Tabebuia 081-ph-a.jpg
Lalbagh-March th '09-Tabebuia 082-ph-a.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Mar 10, 2009, 12:14:40 PM3/10/09
to ranjini kamath, indian...@googlegroups.com
... I think of Tabebuia rosea.
Regards.

Kenneth Greby

Mar 10, 2009, 12:27:23 PM3/10/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, ranjini kamath
 Flowers, foliage look much like T. heterophylla (Cuban Pink Tabebuia), though bark looks different than those of trees of such here in US. It is a rather variable species.

Regards--
Ken Greby
Broward County, Florida USA

Ullas Anand

Mar 12, 2009, 8:31:05 AM3/12/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

Here's a book that I found while searching for the interesting problems that the genus Tabebuia poses for exact identification (http://tinyurl.com/b2gua7). According to the Wiki, this genus has more than 100 species and a lot of the planted ones are interbred.

This book specifically says that T. hetrophylla is often misidentified as T. pallida and that T. pallida in fact has simple leaves! Is not having palmately compund or complex leaves a characteristic of the genus itself? If so, how can T. pallida have simple leaves.

I agree with Kenneth that in all possibility this can be T. hetrophylla. T. rosea seem to have much larger leaves than those in the picture and the leaves are more acuminate in T. rosea. T. roseoalba, which Ranjini Kamath was alluding to, seems to have completely obtuse leaves (http://tinyurl.com/d86hu8).

Of all the pink Tabebuia's planted in our part of the world, T. impetiginosa and T. megapotamica seem to be the easiest to identify and T. rosea and T. hetrophylla (if pallida indeed has simple leaves) are more difficult to differentiate and might have been interbred.

Best Regards,
Ulhas P A
http://wildcards.blogspot.com

Kenneth Greby

Mar 12, 2009, 10:22:27 AM3/12/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Ullas Anand
 There are, I believe, a at least a couple of simple-leafed Tabebuia species. I recall seeing one (whose name I cannot recall) growing at a small botanical garden in Los Angeles, CA (USA) several years ago.

 Additionally, many of the yellow species (and some of the pinks, most notably T. impetiginosa), have now been reclassified into the genus Handroanthus. I admit that I haven't completely given in to using this new classification (old habits die hard, and I'm getting old...) Perhaps someone wants to investigate all the reclassifications and post the "correct" names at some later date.

Regards--
Ken Greby

JM Garg

Dec 11, 2019, 6:43:56 AM12/11/19
to efloraofindia, ranjini kamath
I think Tabebuia rosea (Bertol.) Bertero ex A.DC. as per images nad details herein.