Reuest for ID -010410SC1

shobha chavda

Apr 1, 2010, 8:05:30 AM4/1/10
to indiantreepix

Dear All,

Is it Guaiacum officinale?

Request for ID –  010410SC1

Date / Time – 6 th Feb. 2010 / 5.30 pm.

Location – Place /Altitude / GPS – Near Thol Lake, Ahemadabad

Habitat – Garden/ Urban/ Wild / Type – Wild

Plant Habit – Tree/Shrub / Climber /Herb – Shrub

Height /Length – About  10-15 ft.

Leaves Type / Shape / Size –

Inflorescence Type /Size –

Flowers Size /Colour /Calyx –

Fruits Type /Shape /Size / Seeds – As seen in photo.

Other Information like Fragrance,Pollinator,Uses etc –

Regards,

Shobha

Copy of Gujarat (85).jpg

Kenneth Greby

Apr 1, 2010, 1:48:51 PM4/1/10
to shobha chavda, indiantreepix
Shobha--

 I don't believe that this is Guaiacum, which has very glossy, pinnately-compound leaves. I do not know what it is, however.

Regards--
Ken.

Apr 1, 2010, 1:57:26 PM4/1/10
to Kenneth Greby, shobha chavda, indiantreepix
Shobha ji,

... fruits of Guaiacum officinale viewed at Veermata Jeejabai Bhosale Udyan, Mumbai
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/3717327492/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/3717324590/

Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 1, 2010, 2:00:06 PM4/1/10
to Kenneth Greby, shobha chavda, indiantreepix
Yes Kenneth and Shobha ji
It is not Guaiacum officinale, pl see this in flowersofindia

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

shrikant ingalhalikar

Apr 1, 2010, 9:12:34 PM4/1/10
to efloraofindia
Appears to be Balanites aegyptiaca. Regards, Shrikant

>  Copy of Gujarat (85).jpg
> 264KViewDownload

Swagat

Apr 2, 2010, 8:24:00 AM4/2/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Dear all,

'Balanites aegyptiaca' is called 'Hingan' 'हिंगण' or 'Hinganbet' 'हिंगणबेट' in Marathi.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568 / 9422317979

Padmini Raghavan

Apr 5, 2010, 1:36:30 PM4/5/10
to shobha chavda, indiantreepix
I only know it is NOT Guaiacum officinale.
Here are my pics of the Tree of Life or Lignum Vitae,
 taken in Chennai about two weeks ago.
Rgds,
Padmini Raghavan.

--
Bangalore +Nandi Hills 275.jpg
Bangalore +Nandi Hills 276.jpg

tanay bose

Apr 5, 2010, 2:49:00 PM4/5/10
to Padmini Raghavan, shobha chavda, indiantreepix

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 28, 2010, 1:19:51 AM4/28/10
to efloraofindia, shobha chavda, TANAY BOSE, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Kenneth Greby, Padmini Raghavan
Resurfacing again for ID Confirmation

Earlier feedback

Shrikant ji and Swagat ji.....................................Balanites aegyptiaca
Kenneth and Padmini ji.......................................It is not Guaiacum officinale
Tanay.............................The plant in the attached photo is indeed Guaiacum officinale .

I go with Shrikant ji, because leaves are pinnate compound in Guaiacum officinale. Here they are clearly simple.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Apr 28, 2010, 3:02:06 AM4/28/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, shobha chavda, TANAY BOSE, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Kenneth Greby, Padmini Raghavan
R/s all

according to me, this is 100% Balanites aegyptiaca.

regards

Rohit

--
ROHITKUMAR M.PATEL
Asst. Project cordinator

Satish Chile

Apr 28, 2010, 8:01:58 AM4/28/10
to Rohit Patel, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, shobha chavda, TANAY BOSE, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Kenneth Greby, Padmini Raghavan
Balanites aegyptiaca for sure.
Satish

--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

R. Vijayasankar

Apr 28, 2010, 11:09:21 AM4/28/10
to Satish Chile, Rohit Patel, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, shobha chavda, TANAY BOSE, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Kenneth Greby, Padmini Raghavan
It is certainly Balanites aegyptiaca.

With regards

Vijayasankar Raman
National Center for Natural Products Research,
The University of Mississippi,
Oxford, MS-38677, USA.

shobha chavda

Apr 29, 2010, 6:45:03 AM4/29/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Satish Chile, Rohit Patel, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, TANAY BOSE, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Kenneth Greby, Padmini Raghavan
Posting one more photo of the tree with unripe fruits.
Regards,
Shobha.
Copy of Balanites aegyptiaca.jpg