ornamental herb for id 110111MK2

Muthu Karthick

Jan 11, 2011, 3:35:11 AM1/11/11
to indiantreepix
Dear all,
Please help to id this common garden plant.

Date/Time-

08-01-2011 / 03:30 PM

Location- Place, Altitude, GP

Kancheepuram dist., TN

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

Nursery

Plant Habit-

herb with rooting at nodes

Height/Length-

ca. 30cm

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

dissected

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

raceme

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

varied colours; ca. 1.5cm across;

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 09626833911
www.careearthtrust.org

a 116.jpg
a 117.jpg
a 118.jpg

Muthu Karthick

Jan 11, 2011, 5:23:11 AM1/11/11
to indiantreepix
Could this be any Verbena sp.?

promila chaturvedi

Jan 11, 2011, 5:29:41 AM1/11/11
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
I agree with you. It is Verbena , but I do not know the species name. It is a perenial plant.
Promila

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 11, 2011, 6:55:50 AM1/11/11
to promila chaturvedi, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
I think Verbena bipinnatifida

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Muthu Karthick

Jan 11, 2011, 7:14:51 AM1/11/11
to Gurcharan Singh, promila chaturvedi, indiantreepix
Can  Verbena bipinnatifida grow in low altitudes too? i saw this herb in many districts of low elevations.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 11, 2011, 7:48:41 AM1/11/11
to Muthu Karthick, promila chaturvedi, indiantreepix
Yes, it is common in Delhi also.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Jan 11, 2011, 8:36:57 AM1/11/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Muthu Karthick, promila chaturvedi, indiantreepix
Verbena bipinnatifida
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Mahadeswara

Jan 12, 2011, 12:45:37 AM1/12/11
to efloraofindia
It is an ornamental plant grown extensively in Southern India
especially in Bangalore, Mysore and Chennai. The plant comes in
different hues.

On Jan 11, 6:36 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Verbena bipinnatifida
> Tanay
>

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 4:48 AM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes, it is common in Delhi also.
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> > On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Muthu Karthick <nmk....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Can* ** Verbena bipinnatifida* grow in low altitudes too? i saw this herb
> >> in many districts of low elevations.

> *Tanay Bose*

Muthu Karthick

Jun 24, 2011, 3:25:46 AM6/24/11
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Dear all,
I think Verbena bipinnatifida L. is grown only in high altitudes (Kodaikanal in TN). This is from a coastal region near Chennai.
I had seen the posted plant plant in Madurai district (alt: 100 - 150 metres) also .
--
Muthu Karthick, N

Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 0091 96268 33911
www.careearthtrust.org

J.M. Garg

Sep 22, 2011, 1:27:54 AM9/22/11
to efloraofindia, dinesh...@gmail.com, mani....@gmail.com, tab...@gmail.com, jnur...@gmail.com, hsb...@gmail.com, swamy...@gmail.com, landd...@hotmail.com, Ushadi micromini, Muthu Karthick, tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“I think Verbena bipinnatifida

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh”

“Can  Verbena bipinnatifida grow in low altitudes too? i saw this herb in many districts of low elevations.” from Muthu ji.

“Yes, it is common in Delhi also.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh”

"Verbena bipinnatifida
Tanay"

"It is an ornamental plant grown extensively in Southern India especially in Bangalore, Mysore and Chennai.  The plant comes in
different hues." from Mahadeswara ji.

"I think Verbena bipinnatifida L. is grown only in high altitudes (Kodaikanal in TN). This is from a coastal region near Chennai.
I had seen the posted plant plant in Madurai district (alt: 100 - 150 metres) also ." from Muthu ji.
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1700 members & 79,000 messages on 31/8/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5500 species).

a 116.jpg
a 117.jpg
a 118.jpg

Pinki

Sep 22, 2011, 2:31:30 AM9/22/11
to efloraofindia
Verbena bipinnatifida
Alok

On Sep 21, 10:27 pm, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Forwarding again for Id confirmation or otherwise please.
>
> Some earlier relevant feedback:
>
> “I think *Verbena bipinnatifida*
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh”
>
> “Can  Verbena bipinnatifida grow in low altitudes too? i saw this herb in
> many districts of low elevations.” from Muthu ji.
>
> “Yes, it is *common in Delhi also*.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh”
>
> "*Verbena bipinnatifida
> *Tanay"
>
> "It is an ornamental plant grown extensively in Southern India especially in
> Bangalore, Mysore and Chennai.  The plant comes in
> different hues." from Mahadeswara ji.
>
> "*I think Verbena bipinnatifida L. is grown only in high altitudes *(Kodaikanal
> in TN). This is from a coastal region near Chennai.
> I had seen the posted plant plant in Madurai district (alt: 100 - 150
> metres) also ." from Muthu ji.

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 18, 2020, 5:42:22 AM10/18/20
to efloraofindia
Forwarding for ID confirmation or otherwise

Distributed as Glandularia bipinnatifida

G. tenuisecta may be considered as G. bipinnatifida has greyish leaves and more important bracts are almost as long as calyx, here they are much shorter

 Please also see eFlora of Pakistan

Group discussion at

Gurcharan Singh

J.M. Garg

Oct 20, 2020, 6:10:33 AM10/20/20
to efloraofindia, GurcharanSingh, Muthu Karthick
Thanks, Singh ji,
I will go with you as per details in The Genus Glandularia (Verbenaceae) in Brazil- December 2016

With regards,
J.M.Garg

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 20, 2020, 9:04:48 AM10/20/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick
Thanks Garg ji.