Kadamba

sibdas ghosh

Oct 5, 2008, 3:45:44 AM10/5/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
A few days back there was a mail on Kadamba, It was suspected that
Krishna Kadamba is perhaps Mitragyna parviflora. Here is a pic. of
Mitragyna parviflora . In Bengali it is known as Keli Kadam(?), in
Hindi Kaddam, where as Kadam or Kadamba (both in Bengali and Hindi) is
Anthocephalus kadamba ( syn. A.indica or Nauclea cadamba), which is a
beautiful tree and more popular. I suspect that one should be the real
Kadamba associated with Lord Krishna.
DSCF0330.JPG

J.M. Garg

Oct 5, 2008, 4:15:01 AM10/5/08
to sibdas ghosh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Krishna Kadamba is Mitragyna parviflora as generally only these trees are seen growing in the Matura- Vrindavan area-> land of Lord krishna.

Neil Soares

Oct 5, 2008, 11:09:13 AM10/5/08
to sibdas ghosh, indian...@googlegroups.com

Hi Sibdas,
You have sent a photograph of Haldina cordifolia locally called Hedu or Haldu.
With regards,
Neil Soares.

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Oct 5, 2008, 4:35:23 PM10/5/08
to drneil...@yahoo.com, sibdas ghosh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Pradeep Krishen has included excellent photographs of Kadamba and Mitragyna in his book. He has also tried to explain why Kaim was probably associated with Krishna.
The clinching evidence came from someone from Vrindavan Was it Malyada?) who informed of a large scale plantation of 'Kadamba' in Vrindavan. He also sent some photographs, and they were of Mitragyna and not of Kadamba.
Best wishes,
akbhatt

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

malyada

Oct 6, 2008, 11:07:25 PM10/6/08
to indiantreepix
Hi Anand,

Yes, it was me, and its a she, not he:) Krishna Kadamba is mitragyna
parviflora. And the photo posted does not seem to be the same (as
pointed by Neil). Also, this is not the flowering season for it, it
flowers in summers and goes on till the onset of monsoon. What
clinched the evidence for me was the smell. The ones in Vrindaban
smell profusely, a full flowering tree can smell easily upto 500
meters. Kadamba (Anthocephalus kadamba) is not present in Vrindaban,
at least I havent seen it, and I have been born and brought up there.
The flowers of Kadamba are bigger, yellowish brown in colour, and do
not smell at all. I guess Vinod ji posted a photo sometime back.
In all the scriptures relating kadamba flowers with Lord Krishna, the
flowers have been described as smelling wonderfully. There was a
Surdas bhajan about it, I will dig up the reference sometimes. These
flowers are used in all the temples there, including the one I lived
in.
Garg Ji, can you please post the link of the discussion we had on this
topic. Thanks a ton.
So in all probability(i wont be 100% sure till some expert verifies
it), Krishna Kadamba is Mitragyna parviflora.
malyada..

On Oct 6, 1:35 am, "Anand Kumar Bhatt" <anandkbh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Pradeep Krishen has included excellent photographs of Kadamba and Mitragyna
> in his book. He has also tried to explain why Kaim was probably associated
> with Krishna.
> The clinching evidence came from someone from Vrindavan Was it Malyada?) who
> informed of a large scale plantation of 'Kadamba' in Vrindavan. He also sent
> some photographs, and they were of Mitragyna and not of Kadamba.
> Best wishes,
> akbhatt
>

> On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Sibdas,
> > You have sent a photograph of Haldina cordifolia locally called Hedu or
> > Haldu.
> > With regards,
> > Neil Soares.

J.M. Garg