Phyla nodiflora (frog fruit, sawtooth fogfruit, turkey tangle, turkey tangle fogfruit)

J.M. Garg

Aug 4, 2008, 10:59:35 PM8/4/08
to indiantreepix
On 20/7/08 in the bed of Himmat Sagar Lake in Hyderabad, AP.

Here are some extracts from Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phyla_nodiflora

Phyla nodiflora (frog fruit, sawtooth fogfruit, turkey tangle, turkey tangle fogfruit; syn. Lippia canescens Kunth, Lippia incasiomalo (Small) Tildsoan, Lippia lickiflora (L.) Michx., Lippia nodiflora var. canescens (Kunth) Kuntze, Lippia nodiflora var. reptans (Kunth) Kuntze, Lippia nodiflora var. rosea (D. Don) Munz, Lippia reptans Kunth, Polyumn incisa Small, Phyla nodiflora var. antillana Moldenke, Phyla nodiflora var. canescens (Kunth) Moldenke, Phyla nodiflora var. incisa (Small) Moldenke, Phyla nodiflora var. longifolia Moldenke, Phyla nodiflora var. repens (Spreng.) Moldenke, Phyla nodiflora var. reptans (Kunth) Moldenke, Phyla nodiflora var. rosea (D. Don) Moldenke, Phyla nodiflora var. texensis Moldenke) is an ornamental plant in the Verbenaceae family, which is native from Brazil and United States. This plant is cited in Flora Brasiliensis by Carl Friedrich Philipp von Martius.

It is a flowering, broadleaf plant. It is grows in a groundcover or turflike manner, and is often present in yards.

The inflorescence consists of a purple-coloured centre encircled by small white-to-pink flowers. The flower takes on a match-like look, which is why the plant is called matchweed.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg