Mangrove plant for Id- 250309Jm2

9 views
Skip to first unread message

J.M. Garg

unread,
Mar 24, 2009, 10:35:29 PM3/24/09
to indiantreepix
In Krishna delta in Krishna WS in A.P.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg
"We often ignore the beauty around us"
Creating Awareness about Indian Flora & Fauna:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
For learning about our trees & plants, please visit/ join Google e-group (Indiantreepix) http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en

For Id7 I IMG_6941.jpg
For Id7 I IMG_6943.jpg
For Id7 I IMG_6949.jpg

Tabish

unread,
Mar 25, 2009, 1:45:06 AM3/25/09
to indiantreepix
Do check out Avicennia species, particularly Avicennia officinalis:
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Indian%20Mangrove.html
Cheers!
- Tabish
>  For Id7 I IMG_6941.jpg
> 218KViewDownload
>
>  For Id7 I IMG_6943.jpg
> 207KViewDownload
>
>  For Id7 I IMG_6949.jpg
> 225KViewDownload

J.M. Garg

unread,
Mar 25, 2009, 11:05:24 PM3/25/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix

Tabish

unread,
Mar 26, 2009, 1:58:12 AM3/26/09
to indiantreepix
I think you are right. If it were flowering, we could be surer than
this.
Best wishes
- Tabish

On Mar 26, 8:05 am, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Tabish ji,
> It looks more like Black Mangrove* Lumnitzera racemosa*. See the links & pl.
> confirm:http://anping.tncg.gov.tw/ecotourism/images/etc_110.jpg,http://anping.tncg.gov.tw/ecotourism/images/etc_114.jpg,http://www.flickr.com/photos/7791651@N07/521255066/,http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dntHvgl5Ybs/RqrNQbTpGRI/AAAAAAAAAuE/lMVmAY2...
> (pix),http://www.botgard.ucla.edu/html/botanytextbooks/worldvegetation/mari...
> (little
> details),ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/010/ai387e/ai387e07.pdf(desc.),http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?search=Lumnitzera+racemosa(desc.),
>
> 2009/3/25 Tabish <tabi...@gmail.com>

Nudrat

unread,
Mar 26, 2009, 6:28:13 AM3/26/09
to indiantreepix
Hello

The plant in picture is Aegiceras corniculata. Plz chk the link given
below

: www.thebegavalley.org.au/.../index.html

On Mar 26, 10:58 am, Tabish <tabi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think you are right. If it were flowering, we could be surer than
> this.
>    Best wishes
>    - Tabish
>
> On Mar 26, 8:05 am, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > Thanks, Tabish ji,
> > It looks more like Black Mangrove* Lumnitzera racemosa*. See the links & pl.
> > confirm:http://anping.tncg.gov.tw/ecotourism/images/etc_110.jpg,http://anping......
> > (pix),http://www.botgard.ucla.edu/html/botanytextbooks/worldvegetation/mari...
> > (little
> > details),ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/010/ai387e/ai387e07.pdf(desc.),http://ww....),
> > (Indiantreepix)http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

J.M. Garg

unread,
Mar 26, 2009, 10:35:21 AM3/26/09
to Nudrat, indiantreepix
Thanks, Nudrat ji, for the feedback.
I have checked that up earlier & ruled it out.
I think fruit doesn't match with fruit in my pictures, see the link for Aegiceras corniculata: http://images.google.co.in/images?hl=en&q=Aegiceras%20corniculata&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi 
As per Shrikant ji's book for Aegiceras corniculata: Flowers are in sessile, leaf-opposed umbels, which is not the case in my posted pictures. 
2009/3/26 Nudrat <nudra...@gmail.com>

sibdas

unread,
Mar 26, 2009, 11:08:11 AM3/26/09
to indiantreepix
It looks more like Lumnitzera racemosa, the fruits are additional
comfirmation

On Mar 26, 7:35 pm, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Nudrat ji, for the feedback.
> I have checked that up earlier & ruled it out.
> I think fruit doesn't match with fruit in my pictures, see the link
> for *Aegiceras
> corniculata*:http://images.google.co.in/images?hl=en&q=Aegiceras%20corniculata&um=...
>
> As per Shrikant ji's book for *Aegiceras corniculata:* Flowers are in
> sessile, leaf-opposed umbels, which is not the case in my posted pictures.
> 2009/3/26 Nudrat <nudrat....@gmail.com>
> > > > (Indiantreepix)http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en-Hidequoted text -

Swapna Prabhu

unread,
Apr 2, 2009, 1:43:20 AM4/2/09
to sibdas, indiantreepix
Dear Gargji,
 
My friend, Nishigandha Pednekar works with mangroves, and she has identified it as Lumnitzera racemosa.
 
Regards,
 
Swapna.
 
Dr. Salim Ali Chawk
Mumbai - 400 001.
India.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages