Albizia amara

satish phadke

Mar 30, 2009, 10:16:17 AM3/30/09
to indiantreepix Indian
I am also interested in observing Albizias other than A. lebeck.
I can share with you only this one at present .
I think this is Albizia amara.
The flowers are considerably smaller in size and have almost no greenish tinge like that in A. lebeck
The second picture shows both A.lebeck and A. amara trees side by side.
The pictures have been taken from Vetal tekdi Pune few days back.
Satish
--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com
Albizia amara1.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Mar 30, 2009, 11:06:41 AM3/30/09
to satish phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Many thanks Satish ji, for showing A.amara.
Regards.

J.M. Garg

Mar 31, 2009, 9:14:51 PM3/31/09
to Dinesh Valke, satish phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Thanks, Satish ji.

Padmanabhan Geetha

Apr 6, 2009, 8:49:53 AM4/6/09
to J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, satish phadke, indiantreepix Indian
I would like to add that the leaves of Albizzia amara are dried and powdered and used by ladies in South India to wash hair.This powder is called Thaali.
 In fact i remember that it used to be mixed with kanji (liquid that is removed from rice after it is cooked) and used to wash hair after an oil bath. Women having bath in kolam( water bodies) used this more often as it takes quite a bit of water to wash the powder off the hair. Its quite an ordeal although the effect of it is soft and clean hair. Because it is so cumbersome , i guess most people have given up using it.

geetha

Satish Phadke

Apr 28, 2010, 10:15:11 AM4/28/10
to indiantreepix Indian, Neil Soares
Dear Dr Neil and others
As requested by Neil ji I am sending my pictures of what I believe as Albizia amara.
The size of the flowers is smaller than A.lebbek (Second image for comparison)while much bigger than that of Acacia leucophloea (Hiwar).
Attaching a picture of the pod and dried leaf taken recently.
Please validate
Dr Phadke
Albizia amara1.jpg
Albizia .jpg

Satish Phadke

Apr 28, 2010, 10:27:39 AM4/28/10
to indiantreepix Indian, Neil Soares
Albizia amara pods.jpg
Albizia amara 2.jpg

Neil Soares

Apr 29, 2010, 12:20:20 AM4/29/10
to indiantreepix Indian, Satish Phadke
Thank you Dr.Phadke for sending the photographs.
                 Regards,
                   Neil.

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 29, 2010, 1:24:11 AM4/29/10
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix Indian, Satish Phadke
Dear members
My photographs of A. amara from Old Delhi Ridge, photographed a month ago.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Albizia-amara-Delhi-1.jpg
Albizia-amara-Delhi-2.jpg
Albizia-amara-Delhi-3.jpg

tanay bose

Apr 29, 2010, 9:24:36 AM4/29/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Neil Soares, indiantreepix Indian, Satish Phadke
Very Nice catch Gurcharan Ji,!!!!
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose