Bombay Bean ( an endamic of Bombay erstwhile presidency)

Rajesh Sachdev

Aug 26, 2009, 2:02:59 PM8/26/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, wildflo...@yahoogroups.com, wild_...@yahoogroups.co.in, flowers...@gmail.com
Name of Species: Clitoria biflora ( C. annua)
Common Name:Supali (marathi), Bombay Bean (English)
Family: Fabaceae
Conservation status:Endamic plant reported from SGNP & Phansad WLS
Photographed: 25th August,2009
Location: Sanjay Gandhi National Park
Camera: Olympus SP570UZ
Lens: OLYMPUS ED LENS AF ZOOM 4.6 - 92 mm, 1:2.8 - 4.6
endamic to western ghats, flowers between August to october.
P8250282.JPG

Nayan Singh

Aug 26, 2009, 11:36:28 PM8/26/09
to Rajesh Sachdev, indiantreepix
Dear Rajesh ji,
thanks for sharing it. As you mentioned it is Endamic to SGNP & Phansad WLS, but i photographed it from Pench tiger reserve. My photo is attached, I think my plant is also Clitoria biflora

Thanks

N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Aug 27, 2009, 1:50:32 AM8/27/09
to indiantreepix
Nayan sir,
Definitely yours bean is Bombay bean.

From last few days, i have been scanning the records of the flowers I photographged so far from few books I have in my possession.

1) Book of Wild Flowers of India- Isaac Kehimkar
2) Flowers of Sahyadri ( Part I & II )- Shrikant Ingalhalikar
3) National Parks & sanctuaries of Maharashtra (  my bible on forests of my state) - BNHS publication, authored by Pratibha Pandey & Neema Pathak.

I am trying to put across the information of the flower/plant/shrub or tree on its socio-economic value and conservation status of the said floral species, through these sources and bit of googling.

The information I put regarding Bombay Bean was drived from the said resources, as I written above.

2009/8/27 Nayan Singh <ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in>

--
Regards
Rajesh Sachdev

satyendra tiwari

Aug 27, 2009, 1:55:25 AM8/27/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
dear all,
is a very good garden plant/creeper too. a photo from my garden attached. difficult to control after some time.
satyendra

2009/8/27 Nayan Singh <ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in>
--
Satyendra K.Tiwari.
Wildlife Photographer, Naturalist, Tour Leader

Neil Soares

Aug 27, 2009, 2:33:32 AM8/27/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, satyendra tiwari
Hi Satyendra,
  Beauiful photograph, but it seems to be of the Butterfly Bean [Clitoria ternatea] - a climber. The Bombay Bean [Clitoria annua / C.biflora] is an erect annual herb. Please check.
                 With regards,
                   Neil Soares.

--- On Thu, 8/27/09, satyendra tiwari <kays...@gmail.com> wrote:
2009/8/27 Nayan Singh <ns_dun...@yahoo.co.in>