White Giant Milkweed

JANAKI TURAGA

Jan 3, 2009, 11:29:00 AM1/3/09
to WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, treepix Indian
HI,
I found this tree in a home which was the Giant Milkweed but with white flowers. This plant which is the size of a small tree about 8 feet high, had whiteflowers. It was planted by the people living in the house.
Would appreciate any information about the white flower giant milkweed. Is it a separate sub species?
The 3 attached photos show the entire plant, the flower and buds; and fruit.
Thanks
Janaki Turaga
whiteGiantMilkweed.jpg
FlowersWhiteCalotropis gigantea.jpg
FruitswhiteCalotropis Gigantea.jpg

Madhuri Pejaver

Jan 4, 2009, 1:39:16 AM1/4/09
to WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, treepix Indian, JANAKI TURAGA
is gigantia a species? or indica?

i do not know whether it is a subspecies, but in marathi the one with white flowers is called as mandar, while the one with purplish is called rui.
the food plant for tiger varity of butterflies.
the one with white flowers is used for puja for lord Ganesha
madhuri

J.M. Garg

Jan 4, 2009, 8:13:33 AM1/4/09
to formp...@yahoo.com, treepix Indian, JANAKI TURAGA
Hi, Janaki ji,

I think the following extracts from Wikipedia link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calotropis_gigantea) will clarify:

Calotropis gigantea (Crown flower) is a species of Calotropis, native to Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Sri Lanka, India and China.

It is a large shrub growing to 4 m tall. It has clusters of waxy flowers that are either white or lavender in colour. Each flower consists of five pointed petals and a small, elegant "crown" rising from the centre, which holds the stamens. The plant has oval, light green leaves and milky stem.

2009/1/4 Madhuri Pejaver <formp...@yahoo.com>

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Jan 4, 2009, 11:28:04 PM1/4/09
to formp...@yahoo.com, treepix Indian, JANAKI TURAGA
Reply from Janaki ji:
"Thanks Madhuri, and Gargji. I think the white one is rare. The lady in the house where it was planted told me that this was found in Rajasthan, near Haryana side, in the wild, and was brought and planted by them. And apparently it is worshipped too, especially in Diwali day.
I was actually intrigued as to why anybody would have this plant in their house, until I noticed its flowers which were white.
There was no lavender flowered plant in the house though there were plenty of them in the entire area growing wild. So I presume that the white flowered one is associated with something holy.
Now that I recall, the plant itself is considered to be dear to Lord Ganesha and it is one of the main plants for doing puja on Ganesh Chaturthi in Andhra Pradesh and I think in Karnataka too. I wonder why! Ganesha is worshipped with lot of flowers and wild plants on Ganesh Chaturthi!
Janaki Turaga"

satish phadke

Jan 5, 2009, 8:11:59 AM1/5/09
to JANAKI TURAGA, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, treepix Indian
I have seen few such trees of White Calotropis  near Pune (Khed shivapur)
Satish

2009/1/3 JANAKI TURAGA <janaki...@gmail.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com
Mandar.jpg

Satya Prakash

Jan 6, 2009, 1:59:01 AM1/6/09
to treepix Indian, J.M. Garg, JANAKI TURAGA, formp...@yahoo.com
This plant is commonly sighted in urban areas of Bharatpur, Rajasthan. Due to its mythological importance, it is planted in &/or outside the house. Rajendra Colony in front of world heritage - Keoladeo National Park is one such example.

Wishes
Rajputana

--- On Mon, 5/1/09, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Get your own website and domain for just Rs.1,999/year.* Click here!

JANAKI TURAGA

Jan 6, 2009, 1:13:14 PM1/6/09
to spm...@yahoo.com, treepix Indian
Dear Mr.Mehra,
Can you share what is its mythological importance in Rajasthan?
Janaki Turaga

Sid

Jan 6, 2009, 10:42:26 PM1/6/09
to JANAKI TURAGA, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I think these are the vareities of the same species, Calotropis gigantea. The white variety is rare in Tamilnadu as I have not seen it in the wild. This is a photo I took in a restaurant garden, in East coast road in Madras. The white variety is mainly grown for its sacred beliefs, as Satya Prakash has mentioned.

sid.

2009/1/7 JANAKI TURAGA <janaki...@gmail.com>
Calotropis_white.jpg

Satya Prakash

Jan 6, 2009, 11:35:53 PM1/6/09
to JANAKI TURAGA, Sid, indian...@googlegroups.com
Morning all the plant lovers,

In Rajasthan, what I came to know from the elderly people about Calotropis gigantea is:

It is believed that the white flowers are mostly liked by the Lord Shiva family (I am not getting exact story behind this). Therefore, planting this species in the house gardens at particular time (probably in night of full moon day- Poornima of Swati Nakshatra), will give birth to the Lord Ganesha in its roots (shape is considered to be that of Lord Ganesha). And after four-five years the owner could take out the root again at particular timings. He would find the shape of lord Ganesha. Keep that inside home/worshipping place and the family or house memebers would never face any problem.

I will circulate exact and full story/belief for C. gigantea afterwards, again reviving my notes on the cultural/traditional beliefs of plants and animals.

Wishes

Satya Prakash Mehra

--- On Wed, 7/1/09, Sid <sid...@gmail.com> wrote:

Get rid of Add-Ons in your email ID. Get your...@ymail.com. Sign up now!