Flora of Manipur: Nelumbo

R. Vijayasankar

Jul 29, 2010, 11:05:26 PM7/29/10
to indiatreepix
Lotus is very common in the aquatic habitats of Imphal valley in Manipur. The rhizome, petiole and pedicel are used as vegetable. The seeds are edible.
The seeds are sold almost throughout the city of Imphal in roadside shops and vegetable markets. They (inner cotyledons) taste really good.

With regards

Vijayasankar
nelumbo nucifera_1.JPG
nelumbo nucifera_4.JPG
nelumbo nucifera_5.JPG

tanay bose

Jul 30, 2010, 12:00:04 AM7/30/10
to R. Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Thanks for sharing information about the ethnic use of the plant.

Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 30, 2010, 1:37:40 AM7/30/10
to R. Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Never heard about the seeds to be edible before......
TFS.
Pankaj

Pankaj Oudhia

Jul 30, 2010, 1:55:59 AM7/30/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks for sharing Vijayashankar ji.

It is common in rural and urban markets of Chhattisgarh as well as Jharkhand.

My pictures taken in Chhattisgarh.

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=55410

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=55412

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=55414

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=98360

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=98354

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

R. Vijayasankar

Jul 30, 2010, 2:07:54 AM7/30/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Excellent pictures Pankaj ji, i didnt have a picture of rhizomes, thanx for sharing.  Hope this is also used as medicine.

With regards

Vijayasankar

Pankaj Oudhia

Jul 30, 2010, 2:26:41 AM7/30/10
to efloraofindia
Yes, it is used as medicine. It is important part of my report on "Management of Type II Diabetes through Traditional Healing Methods." Here is some related links

http://www.google.com/#q=site:www.pankajoudhia.com+nelumbo+oudhia&hl=en&safe=off&ei=ZW9STIG2GIyXrAe_9LHeAQ&start=0&sa=N&fp=e9424800d69960d0

In Chhattisgarh it is known as Dhens and Sindhi community likes it much. I was not fond of it during my childhood. At that time my mother used to name it as "Chakke vali Sabji" i.e. Curry with wheels due to wheel like structure in rhizome pieces.  Now I am fan of this curry.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia