Fwd: Swamy/New series/ID/48 - climber for ID.

M Swamy

Dec 18, 2021, 11:34:48 PM12/18/21
to efloraofindia
Dear members,
I am forwarding  h/w the  photos received from  Chennai  for ID. This is a  liana,   in a farm, entangling trees in a  vicious thorny hold.
Picture of flowers not available.  Pods are  very thin and flat.
There is confusion  as to whether it is Senegalia caesia (L.) Maslin et al., Blumea 58:40. 2013 (syn: (≡) Acacia caesia (L.) Willd  as in efloraofindia or Senegalia intsia (L.) Maslin  syn. Acasia caesia.   Or both the names are one and the same.  If so what is the correct citation.  Please clarify.

climber 1.jpg
climber 2.jpg
20211217_114834.jpg
20211217_114853.jpg
20211217_114913.jpg

M Swamy

Dec 20, 2021, 7:10:07 AM12/20/21
to efloraofindia
I am reforwarding  with the proper ID number.  My previous posting on this plant carried a same number given to another plant (Dombeya spectabilis ).  That is why I am reforwarding with the proper ID reference number.
climber 1.jpg
climber 2.jpg
20211217_114834.jpg
20211217_114853.jpg
20211217_114913.jpg

J.M. Garg

Dec 20, 2021, 11:57:44 PM12/20/21
to efloraofindia

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Dec 23, 2021, 5:05:05 AM12/23/21
to efloraofindia, M Swamy
Yes, there seems to be some confusion. But both seem to be different as per

Senegalia intsia (L.) Maslin, Seigler & Ebinger:
POWO, ILDIS, FoPI, CoL.

Senegalia caesia (L.) Maslin, Seigler & Ebinger
POWOILDISFoPI

However, I could not find the keys between the two. Pl. check with descriptions give in FoPI at links above.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Dec 23, 2021, 7:23:34 AM12/23/21
to efloraofindia
Dec 29, 2021, 2:20:27 AM12/29/21
to M Swamy, efloraofindia
Hi, Mahadeswara ji,
Did you check with the descriptions?
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Dec 29, 2021, 7:00:24 AM12/29/21
to efloraofindia
Jan 3, 2022, 9:26:19 AM1/3/22
to M Swamy, efloraofindia
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Jan 7, 2022, 11:16:07 AM1/7/22
to M Swamy, efloraofindia
From the earlier books both appear to be same as per books:

Forest Plants of Eastern India - Page 225

Mansfeld's Encyclopedia of Agricultural and Horticultural ... - Page 600

Indian Medicinal Plants: A Compendium of 500 Species

It appears there was some taxonomic confusion somewhere.

But without keys and clear cut differences, it may be difficult to reach some conclusions.

So until then let us keep it at

Senegalia caesia, like other observations.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Tapas Chakrabarty

Jan 7, 2022, 4:35:51 PM1/7/22
to J.M. Garg, M Swamy, efloraofindia
Acacia intsia or Senegalia intsia is a nomen confusum. Dr. Bruce Maslin, in a personal communication finally also agreed to my arguments. I take this plant as Senegalia caesia.
Thank you.
Tapas.

J.M. Garg

Jan 7, 2022, 8:13:53 PM1/7/22
to Tapas Chakrabarty, M Swamy, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot, Tapas ji, for the clarification.

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

J.M. Garg