[efloraofindia:35196] DV - 15MAY10 - 0425 :: pencil palm

Dinesh Valke

May 18, 2010, 10:54:34 AM5/18/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
ID please,
... do not go by the name, pencil palm ... coined the name because the stem looks to me, pencil-thin !!

Date/Time
: May 15, 2010 at 4.25pm IST
Location Place : Veermata Jijabai Bhosale Udyan premises, car parking area near Dr Bahu Daji Lad Museum

Altitude : 10 m
GPS : 18°58'46.04"N, 72°50'4.06"E

Habitat : garden
Type : ...

Plant
Habit
: tree (palm)
Height : about 3 - 4 m
Length : - not a climber -

Leaves
Type
: pinnate-compound, spirally arranged
Shape : ...
Size : about 2 m

Inflorescence
Type
: ...
Size : ...

Flowers
Size
: ...
Colour : ...
Calyx : ...
Bracts : - no bracts -

Fruits
Type
: ...
Shape : ...
Size : ...
Seeds : ...

Other Info
Fragrance : ...
Pollinator : ...
Uses : ...

Too much of "do not know" !!

Regards.

P1170096.jpg
P1170082.jpg
P1170083.jpg
P1170091.jpg

tanay bose

May 18, 2010, 11:09:22 AM5/18/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
dear Dinesh ji,
I think this is betel nut palm, Areca catechu
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Kenneth Greby

May 18, 2010, 11:05:46 AM5/18/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dinesh--

 What is the diameter of the stems? Is the 3-4m height that of clear trunk?

 I'm leaning toward a Ptychosperma species, perhaps P. elegans. But it's possible it could be a Chamaedorea.

Regards--
Ken.

May 18, 2010, 11:20:00 AM5/18/10
to tanay bose, efloraofindia
Dear Tanay, the Areca (catechu) palm has thicker stem.
Will post later for comparison.
Regards.

Kenneth Greby

May 18, 2010, 12:10:34 PM5/18/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Thanks Dinesh--

I'm pretty certain it's a Ptychospema species then. I'm no expert in the genus, however. There are several multi-trunked species, the most common of which (here in Florida, USA) is P. macarthurii (not P. elegans, a single-trunked species, as I first stated).

Check here for some good photos:
http://www.palmguide.org/palm_genera.php

Regards--
Ken.

This would be Ptychosperma caryotoides. Pls note the tip of leaflets
that resemble the Caryota leaflets. Regards, Shrikant

On May 18, 8:05 pm, Kenneth Greby <fstf...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dinesh--
>
>  What is the diameter of the stems? Is the 3-4m height that of clear trunk?
>
>  I'm leaning toward a Ptychosperma species, perhaps P. elegans. But it's possible it could be a Chamaedorea.
>
> Regards--
> Ken.

Yazdy Palia

May 18, 2010, 3:19:10 PM5/18/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Dear Friends,
It should be Ptychosperma macarthurii. Please check the links
http://www.palmguide.org/images.php?family=ARECACEAE&genus=Ptychosperma
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/45895/
Incidentally, I have four such clumps at the two entrances to our
home. Once again I did not know the name or species, till You guys
kindled the interest by this mail.
Regards
Yazdy.

Gurcharan Singh

May 18, 2010, 10:28:19 PM5/18/10
to Yazdy Palia, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
We have simial in Delhi as Dypsis lutescens

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dinesh Valke

May 19, 2010, 2:52:36 AM5/19/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Kenneth Greby, Yazdy Palia, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Kenneth, many many thanks for the precious link; zeroed to Ptychosperma macarthurii ... ruled out P. elegans just as you too have pointed out: single-stemmed and also seems too tall.

Shrikant ji, this plant does have leaflets similar to that of fishtail palm, however not as broad at tip as in P. caryotoides.
P. caryotoides having habit of single stem with traces of temder green skin VERSUS P. macarthurii having clumping habit with dry-skin makes me think in favour of the MacArthur Palm.

Many thanks Yazdi ji for your validating thoughts.

Below put are interesting links for reference leading me to P. macarthurii

Ptychosperma caryotoides ... Fishtail Solitaire Palm ... New Guinea ... Small, single trunk
Ptychosperma macarthurii ... MacArthur Palm ... Australia ... Multiple stemmed
http://palm_doctor.homestead.com/palm14.html

Ptychosperma caryotoides
Solitary, feather-leafed, crownshaft palm. Trunk to 2 inches thick. Dark green leaves are wedged shaped. Overall height to 20 feet with a 4-6 foot spread.
http://www.dasignsourcebotanicals.com/plant_details.cfm?id=465

Ptychosperma macarthurii
Clumping, feather-leafed, crownshaft palm. Trunks to 2 inches thick. Crownshaft and leaves a dark emerald green. Height to 35 feet with a 15-20 foot spread.
http://www.dasignsourcebotanicals.com/plant_details.cfm?id=467

Scientific Name: Ptychosperma macarthurii.  Common name: Macarthur Palm . Small attractive clustering trunk feather leaf palm w/narrow leaflets.  Bright red fruits on a with red to orange infructescence branches. Native to northern Australia. East to grow from seeds. Attractive as free-standing groupings or as a accent planting with other tropical vegetation.

http://www.especies-seeds.com/catalog.php/especiesbotanics/dt68938/pd1842766/Ptychosperma_macarthurii__Collector_s_packet_of_Fresh_harvest_seeds_100_seeds

Ptychosperma caryotoides    Solitare Palm    New Guinea    Small species grows up to 30 ft in rainforest mountains Thin trunk. Rare in cultivation.

Ptychosperma macarthurii    MacArthur Palm    Australia    Slender clumping palm. Keep warm, moist, protect from wind.

http://www.hanagardenland.com/hanagardenland14.html

Ptychosperma macarthurii

Scientific Synonymy:
Kentia macarthurii, Saguaster macarthurii, Actinophloeus macarthurii, Carpentaria bleeseri, Ptychosperma bleeseri, Actinophloeus hospitus, Ptychosperma julianettii, Ptychosperma hospitum, Actinophloeus macarthurii var. hospitus

Common Synonymy:
Bleesers Palm

Common Name: MacArthur Palm

http://www.trebrown.com/plant_info.php?species=Ptychosperma+macarthurii

Regards.

Pardeshi S.

May 19, 2010, 4:57:38 AM5/19/10
to efloraofindia
it is
Ptychosperma macarthurii (H. Wendl. ex H. J. Veitch) H. Wendl. ex
Hook. f. Rep. Roy. Bot. Gard. Kew 1882: 55, 1884.
Synonyms: Kentia macarthurii H. Wendl. ex H. J. Veitch J. Veitch et
al., Catalogue 1879: 26, 1879 (T. Moore, Florist & Pomol. 1879: 114,
1879).

collected from VJBU, Mumbai

On May 19, 11:52 am, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kenneth, many many thanks for the precious link; zeroed to *Ptychosperma
> macarthurii* ... ruled out *P. elegans* just as you too have pointed out:
> single-stemmed and also seems too tall.
>
> Shrikant ji, this plant does have leaflets similar to that of fishtail palm,
> however not as broad at tip as in *P. caryotoides*.
> *P. caryotoides* having habit of single stem with traces of temder green
> skin VERSUS *P. macarthurii* having clumping habit with dry-skin makes me
> think in favour of the MacArthur Palm.
>
> Many thanks Yazdi ji for your validating thoughts.
>
> Below put are interesting links for reference leading me to *P. macarthurii*

> Ptychosperma caryotoides ... Fishtail Solitaire Palm ... New Guinea ...
> Small, single trunk
> Ptychosperma macarthurii ... MacArthur Palm ... Australia ... Multiple
> stemmedhttp://palm_doctor.homestead.com/palm14.html

> Ptychosperma caryotoides
> Solitary, feather-leafed, crownshaft palm. Trunk to 2 inches thick. Dark
> green leaves are wedged shaped. Overall height to 20 feet with a 4-6 foot
> spread.http://www.dasignsourcebotanicals.com/plant_details.cfm?id=465

> Ptychosperma macarthurii
> Clumping, feather-leafed, crownshaft palm. Trunks to 2 inches thick.
> Crownshaft and leaves a dark emerald green. Height to 35 feet with a 15-20
> foot spread.http://www.dasignsourcebotanicals.com/plant_details.cfm?id=467

> Scientific Name: Ptychosperma macarthurii.  Common name: Macarthur Palm .
> Small attractive clustering trunk feather leaf palm w/narrow leaflets.
> Bright red fruits on a with red to orange infructescence branches. Native to
> northern Australia. East to grow from seeds. Attractive as free-standing
> groupings or as a accent planting with other tropical vegetation.
>
> http://www.especies-seeds.com/catalog.php/especiesbotanics/dt68938/pd...
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/<http://people.du.ac.in/%7Esinghg45/>
> >> .
> >> groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.

> >> groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.

> >>http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.
>
> >> --
>
> >  --
> > .

Dinesh Valke

May 19, 2010, 5:29:07 AM5/19/10
to Pardeshi S., efloraofindia
Many thanks Satish ji for the validation of ID.
Regards.

Kenneth Greby

May 19, 2010, 6:07:57 AM5/19/10
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, Yazdy Palia, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
You are welcome Dinesh. Enjoy your palms.

Regards--
Ken.

May 20, 2010, 7:50:16 AM5/20/10
to Kenneth Greby, Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, Yazdy Palia, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Dear all,
I had with me Ptycosperma elegens and P. macarthurii. The picture here does not match any of these palms. After reading more I feel that Mr. Greby is correct. I go with his opinion.
Promila

Dinesh Valke

May 20, 2010, 10:36:15 AM5/20/10
to promila chaturvedi, Kenneth Greby, Gurcharan Singh, Yazdy Palia, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Promila ji.. are you referring to dear Kenneth Greby's opinions ?
... well, he does think positive about Ptychosperma species, ... he has not asserted on P. macarthurii, neither said no to it.
Did not understand your comment.
Regards.