Pichavaram – Unique Mangrove ecosystem

raghu ananth

Jun 4, 2008, 3:18:04 PM6/4/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com

As we went deeper and deeper into the Pichavaram waters, (Chidambaram, Chennai,Tamil Nadu)  we could see clearly the mangroves. On enquiring its name, Ezhumalai rattled off the words “Rhizophora apiculata, Rhizophora muconata and avicennia” – the scientific name of these trees and proceeded to inform us that this type of vegetation could be found in only two places in India – the Sunderbans and in Pichavaram. And finally we were able to get a good look at the mangroves. Half submerged in water, it seemed to rest as if on its branches while the leaves looked green, shiny and rather appealing. On closer inspection we noticed that the tree sprouts a stem which grows and embeds itself into the ground or should we say the waters. Just the way the branches of the banyan tree grow and pierce the ground to become roots below. No beginning and no end. That’s what even the mangroves looked like.

Travelogue and some more photographs on

http://earthsublime.blogspot.com/2008/05/pichavaram-unique-ecosystem.html

May 23, 2008

Pichavaram , Chidambaram, Chennai,Tamil Nadu)

Bollywood, fun, friendship, sports and more. You name it, we have it.
DSC_7605.jpg
DSC_7765.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jan 5, 2009, 2:15:04 AM1/5/09
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Raghu,

Do I understand that your message says that mangroves are only found in two places of India -- the Sunderbans and in Pichavaram ?
OR am I missing some context?

Regards.

[...]

figtree

Jan 5, 2009, 4:31:00 AM1/5/09
to indiantreepix
India has about 4000 sq. km of Mangroves, about 50% of which falls in
Sundarbans, a sizeable chunk can be found in Gujarat (mainly in
Kuchchh area) and Andaman Nicobar Islands (gujarat and A&N= together
about 30%), rest mainly in Orissa (Mahanadi delta), Andhra Pradsh and
Maharastra ( Together about 15%). Scattered are some patches in Goa,
Kerala; TN and other places. Some claim more species diversity in
Gujarat than Sundarbans, others refute. Bangladesh has tha largest
mangrove tract.

On Jan 5, 12:15 pm, "Dinesh Valke" <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Raghu,
>
> Do I understand that your message says that mangroves are only found in two
> places of India -- the Sunderbans and in Pichavaram ?
> OR am I missing some context?
>
> Regards.
>

> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 12:48 AM, raghu ananth <raghu_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > As we went deeper and deeper into the Pichavaram waters, (Chidambaram,
> > Chennai,Tamil Nadu)  we could see clearly the mangroves. On enquiring its
> > name, Ezhumalai rattled off the words "Rhizophora apiculata, Rhizophora
> > muconata and avicennia" - the scientific name of these trees and proceeded
> > to inform us that this type of vegetation could be found in only two places
> > in India - the Sunderbans and in Pichavaram. And finally we were able to get
> > a good look at the mangroves. Half submerged in water, it seemed to rest as
> > if on its branches while the leaves looked green, shiny and rather
> > appealing. On closer inspection we noticed that the tree sprouts a stem
> > which grows and embeds itself into the ground or should we say the waters.
> > Just the way the branches of the banyan tree grow and pierce the ground to
> > become roots below. No beginning and no end. That's what even the mangroves
> > looked like.
>
> > Travelogue and some more photographs on
>
> >http://earthsublime.blogspot.com/2008/05/pichavaram-unique-ecosystem....
>
> > May 23, 2008
>
> > Pichavaram , Chidambaram, Chennai,Tamil Nadu)
>
> > ------------------------------
> > Bollywood, fun, friendship, sports and more. You name it, we have it.<http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_groups_1/*http://in.promos.yahoo.com/g...>- Hide quoted text -

Dinesh Valke

Jan 5, 2009, 4:39:10 AM1/5/09
to figtree, indiantreepix
Thanks for the relevant information, Sibdas.
Intention of querying was to check for any misunderstanding.
Regards.

J.M. Garg

Jan 5, 2009, 10:07:42 AM1/5/09
to Dinesh Valke, figtree, indiantreepix
Lovely blog, Raghu ji.
Anyone on Id for the posted plants?

figtree

Jan 5, 2009, 11:50:43 AM1/5/09
to indiantreepix
The plant showing vivipary seems to me a Rhizophora sp. possibly R.
mucronata

On Jan 5, 8:07 pm, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lovely blog, Raghu ji.
> Anyone on Id for the posted plants?
>
> 2009/1/5 Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com>
>

> > Thanks for the relevant information, Sibdas.
> > Intention of querying was to check for any misunderstanding.
> > Regards.
>
> --
> With regards,
> J.M.Garg
> "We often ignore the beauty around us"
> Creating Awareness about Indian Flora & Fauna:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
> For learning about our trees & plants, please visit/ join Google e-group
> (Indiantreepix)http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en- Hide quoted text -

J.M. Garg

Jan 5, 2009, 10:56:45 PM1/5/09
to figtree, indiantreepix
Thanks, Sibdas ji.
It appears like what you stated.

mangala borkar

Jan 5, 2009, 11:46:56 PM1/5/09
to figtree, indiantreepix
Hello, We at Thane are also lucky in having a mangrove belt as we have the creek coming from arabian sea on two sides from Trombay and Bassein creek as well as we have an estuary Of Ulhas river which flows down towards Arabian sea as a result we have mangroves  that need more of fresh water like Rhizophora as well mangroves that grow well in more saline waters like Avicennia marina in addition there is good number of Sonneretia  trees also.