Spinacia oleracea L.

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 1, 2023, 1:45:22 AM3/1/23
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, Tabish
Dear Members,

Location: Gyaneswor, Kathmandu
Date: 01 March 2023
Elevation: 1400 m.
Habit : Cultivated
Nepali Name : पालुङ्गो साग  Paalungo Saag

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju
DSC02354.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 1, 2023, 1:45:45 AM3/1/23
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, Tabish

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

DSC02355.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 1, 2023, 1:45:53 AM3/1/23
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, Tabish

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

DSC02356.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 1, 2023, 1:46:05 AM3/1/23
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, Tabish
DSC02357.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 1, 2023, 1:46:24 AM3/1/23
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, Tabish
DSC02358.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 1, 2023, 1:46:34 AM3/1/23
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, Tabish

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

DSC02360.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 1, 2023, 1:46:45 AM3/1/23
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, Tabish
DSC02361.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 1, 2023, 1:46:58 AM3/1/23
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Dinesh Valke, Tabish
DSC02362.JPG

Mahadeswara

Mar 1, 2023, 6:37:15 AM3/1/23
to eFloraofIndia
A common leafy vegetable.

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 1, 2023, 7:16:20 AM3/1/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Bala Subramaniam, J.M. Garg
Yes, indeed. Our usual vegetable.

Thank you Bala Ji !

Saroj Kasaju

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 1, 2023, 7:17:26 AM3/1/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, J.M. Garg, M Swamy
Yes, indeed. Our usual vegetable.

Thank you Mahadeswara Ji!

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Mar 2, 2023, 1:19:09 AM3/2/23
to Saroj Kasaju, efloraindia
Beautiful presentation.
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 2, 2023, 5:04:37 AM3/2/23
to J.M. Garg, efloraindia

Thank you Mr. Garg !

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Mar 7, 2023, 6:58:47 AM3/7/23
to Saroj Kasaju, efloraindia, Dinesh Valke, Tabish

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 7, 2023, 7:34:42 AM3/7/23
to J.M. Garg, efloraindia, Dinesh Valke, Tabish
Do you mean by Beetroot? It looks different. Please see spiked seeds.

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Mar 7, 2023, 10:17:43 AM3/7/23
to Saroj Kasaju, efloraindia, Dinesh Valke, Tabish
URL corrected.
Beet root is Beta vulgaris subsp. vulgaris Conditiva Group (Garden Beet or Beetroot Group) as per
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 7, 2023, 10:26:40 AM3/7/23
to J.M. Garg, efloraindia, Dinesh Valke, Tabish
Does the seed look like this ?

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

DSC02356.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 7, 2023, 10:27:07 AM3/7/23
to J.M. Garg, efloraindia, Dinesh Valke, Tabish
DSC02358.JPG

J.M. Garg

Mar 11, 2023, 1:49:19 AM3/11/23
to Saroj Kasaju, efloraindia, Dinesh Valke, Tabish
No, these are not fruits/ seeds. These are some other structures. I am not able to find out from the descriptions in Flora of ChinaFlora of Pakistan.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 11, 2023, 1:35:43 PM3/11/23
to eFloraofIndia
I think the plant should be Spinacia oleracea only. The leaves are many times like Beta vulgaris only especially in Baby spinach plants. The axillary flowers are female flowers (male in panicles) and spines that you see are the bracteoles of female flower which become hard in fruit (in forma spinosa) and are spiny. We can see lobed leaves which we find in Spinacia not Beta.

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 11, 2023, 1:41:14 PM3/11/23
to eFloraofIndia
The only catch is Spinacia oleracea is usually a dioecious plant but monoecious condition is often found, as seen in Saroj ji's plant
Flowers of Beta vulgaris are bisexual and without spiny bracteoles.

J.M. Garg

Mar 12, 2023, 2:18:18 PM3/12/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Saroj Kasaju, GurcharanSingh
Thanks a lot, Singh ji

With regards,
J.M.Garg

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 12, 2023, 2:46:52 PM3/12/23
to J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com, GurcharanSingh

Thank you Gurucharan Sir !

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Mar 16, 2023, 12:17:30 PM3/16/23
to efloraofindia
This is really Spinacia oleralea (left plant, right is tomato). Usually, Spinacia is dioecious, but in your case it is monoecious (some cultivated exemplars). The male flowers are above, and the female ones below the male inflorescence covered with bracts tightly adjoining to the fruit. They are clustered together.
Best wishes,
Alexander

Суббота, 11 марта 2023, 9:51 +03:00 от J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com>:

No, these are not fruits/ seeds. These are some other structures. I am not able to find out from the descriptions in Flora of ChinaFlora of Pakistan.

Mar 16, 2023, 12:19:04 PM3/16/23
to efloraofindia
What are these spine-like structures at the base of the inflorescence?

On Sat, 11 Mar 2023 at 12:39, Alexander P. Sukhorukov <suc...@mail.ru> wrote:
Dear all Ji,
This is really Spinacia oleralea (left plant, right is tomato). Usually, Spinacia is dioecious, but in your case it is monoecious (some cultivated exemplars). The male flowers are above, and the female ones below the male inflorescence covered with bracts tightly adjoining to the fruit. They are clustered together.
Best wishes,
Alexander

Суббота, 11 марта 2023, 9:51 +03:00 от J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com>:

Alexander P. Sukhorukov
Leading Scientist, Dr. Sci.
Dept. Higher Plants
Biological Faculty
Moscow State University
119234 Russia

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Mar 16, 2023, 12:19:11 PM3/16/23
to efloraofindia
Mar 16, 2023, 1:14:17 PM3/16/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Alexander Sukhorukov, J.M. Garg

Thank you Dr. Sukhrukov for the validation !

Saroj Kasaju