ID request-110410-PKA1

Prashant awale

Apr 11, 2010, 1:18:33 AM4/11/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
Came across this Climbing Shrub at Nagla Bundar near the Sea creek. Only fruits were spotted. Kindly help me in identification..

Date/Time-

14-03-2010 /11:30 AM

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-

Nagla Bundar (near Sea creek)  Thane Dist.,  10 ft

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

Wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-

Climbing Shrub

Height/Length-

~ 4m to 5m high

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

 Alternate, 2 to 4cm , shining,  ovate,  tapering at apex,  short petiole (approx 2 to 4mm)

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

--

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

Not known

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

 Ellipsoid, Red / Orange, 8 to 12mm

Thanks
regards
Prashant
IMG_5805.jpg
IMG_5803.jpg
IMG_5802.jpg

tanay bose

Apr 11, 2010, 1:55:25 AM4/11/10
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Dear Prasant Ji,
Is there any chance of being Embelia ribes Burm.f. from the family Myrsinaceae??? The leaf though looks similar but fruit character is not satisfying me . kindly validate.
Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

R. Vijayasankar

Apr 11, 2010, 2:19:20 AM4/11/10
to tanay bose, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
hi this is Cansjera rheedei or opiliaceae family. nice photos of ripe fruits. thanks for sharing. the leaves are brittle, used as green vegetable by malayali tribes in tn. most of the times the leaves are infected by Meliola fungus forming black round spots. called as 'kalimanakkeerai' in Tamil.
With regards

R. Vijayasankar
National Center for Natural Products Research,
The University of Mississippi,
Oxford, MS-38677, USA.

Parjanya guru

Apr 11, 2010, 2:43:38 AM4/11/10
to R. Vijayasankar, tanay bose, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
I agree with Ravishankarjee...
The plant is definately  Cansjera rheedei But iI am seeing the fantastic scqrlet fruits for the first time..!
Much tempted to see..!
:)
...Thank you Prashant jee for sharing the Pic.

Prashant awale

Apr 11, 2010, 4:20:13 AM4/11/10
to Parjanya guru, R. Vijayasankar, tanay bose, indiantreepix
Thanks Vijayasankar ji, Parjanya Guru ji for the ID. I could get few snaps of the flowers (dried ones). Do have a look. Very small size, hardly 2 to 2.5 mm long, sessile and 1.5 mm across.

regards
Prashant
IMG_6495.jpg
IMG_6498.jpg

R. Vijayasankar

Apr 11, 2010, 4:53:37 AM4/11/10
to Prashant awale, Parjanya guru, tanay bose, indiantreepix
Prashant ji, i am sharing (in separate mail) pictures of its close relative with which we often used to get confused. The major difference is flowers and fruits of Cansjera are sessile and the corolla is urn-shaped (cup like).

Muthu Karthick

Apr 11, 2010, 6:53:30 AM4/11/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Prashant awale, Parjanya guru, tanay bose, indiantreepix
Nice pictures of ripen fruits Prashantji.

Are these fruits edible?
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
Care Earth Trust
Chennai - 61
www.careearthtrust.org

Parjanya guru

Apr 11, 2010, 7:02:57 AM4/11/10
to Muthu Karthick, R. Vijayasankar, Prashant awale, tanay bose, indiantreepix
.. These are edible in the Costal areas of Karnataka... But My personel observation and experience proved the fruits to be very good laxatives..!
:)

tanay bose

Apr 11, 2010, 11:18:12 AM4/11/10
to Parjanya guru, Muthu Karthick, R. Vijayasankar, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Dear All,
Thank you for the identification, but there is a typographical error in the specific epithet
please read it as ..............
Cansjera rheedii

instead of

Cansjera rheedei

Hope no one will mind about the correction of the name...
Regards
Tanay