For ID 060209ET71

Thiruvengadam Ekambaram

Feb 6, 2009, 12:19:27 AM2/6/09
to indiantreepix
Friends
This plant I saw in Ranthambore National Park,it interested me because
at grund level it is like Aloe plant.In the middle one single stem
around 3.5 metre ht. and 50 mm dia.Stem is visible in the photo.
Please give ID

IMG_0127.JPGa.jpg

IMG_0127.JPGa.jpg

Yazdy Palia

Feb 6, 2009, 2:00:00 PM2/6/09
to Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indiantreepix
Hi folks,
I would not be able to name the plant but I have seen it all over
being used as fence. The central stem comes up only at the time of
flowering. The flowers themselves turn into small plants and drop down
and take root. The mother plant then just dries up. The leaves are
long and succulent and for many years you do not see the central stem.
Once the central stem comes, and the plant flowers, the mother plant
dies.
I have tried to get the identity and will try once again.
Regards
Yazdy Palia.

Barry Stock

Feb 6, 2009, 3:44:49 PM2/6/09
to Yazdy Palia, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indiantreepix
Yazda,

This is some species of Agave. They are monocarpic, flowering once and
then dying. The large stalk flowers, is pollinated, and produces
miniature versions of the plant called bulbils. You can shake the
stalk and many miniature plants will fall like rain.

-bs

J.M. Garg

Feb 7, 2009, 10:20:35 PM2/7/09
to Barry Stock, Yazdy Palia, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indiantreepix
Thanks, Barry ji.

Here are some extracts from Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agave

Agave is a succulent plant of a large botanical genus of the same name, belonging to the family Agavaceae.

Chiefly Mexican, agaves occur also in the southern and western United States and in central and tropical South America. The plants have a large rosette of thick fleshy leaves, each ending generally in a sharp point and with a spiny margin; the stout stem is usually short, the leaves apparently springing from the root. Along with plants from the related genus Yucca, various Agave species are popular ornamental plants.

Each rosette is monocarpic and grows slowly to flower only once. During flowering a tall stem or "mast" grows from the center of the leaf rosette and bears a large number of shortly tubular flowers. After development of fruit the original plant dies, but suckers are frequently produced from the base of the stem which become new plants.

It is a common misconception that Agaves are cacti. Agaves are closely related to the lily and amaryllis families, and are not related to cacti.

Barry Stock

Feb 7, 2009, 10:48:01 PM2/7/09
to J.M. Garg, Yazdy Palia, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indiantreepix
One particular species of Agave, Agave tequilana, is the source of a
very popular liquor, Tequila. It is made from the steamed and
distilled heart of the huge plants. They grow here in cultivation, but
are native to Mexico.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tequila_agave

Barry Stock
Hollywood, Florida, USA

Rakesh Biswas

Feb 8, 2009, 1:06:40 AM2/8/09
to Barry Stock, J.M. Garg, Yazdy Palia, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indiantreepix
Thanks for all this interesting information in Agave.

Swagat

Feb 8, 2009, 2:34:56 AM2/8/09
to Rakesh Biswas, Barry Stock, J.M. Garg, Yazdy Palia, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indiantreepix
Dear all,

One of the species of Agave... Agave americana is called 'Wakandi'  'वाकंडी'  or  'Wakhandi'  'वाखंडी' in loclal Marathi language in Maharashtra (India).

Regards,

~Swagat

Yazdy Palia

Feb 8, 2009, 6:19:22 AM2/8/09
to Swagat, Rakesh Biswas, Barry Stock, J.M. Garg, Thiruvengadam Ekambaram, indiantreepix
Hi Folks
From the colour of the leaves, it appears like Agave Ferox. Here is a
link http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Agave
Regards