Breynia retusa

Prashant awale

Jul 12, 2010, 9:08:44 AM7/12/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,

Breynia retusa from Sagargad.
Date/Time: 11-07-2010 / 09:40AM

regards
Prashant
Breynia retusa_8700.jpg
Breynia retusa_8701.jpg
Breynia retusa_8916.jpg
Breynia retusa-itp-PS1.jpg

Rashida Atthar

Jul 12, 2010, 9:39:41 AM7/12/10
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Wonderful shots  Prashant ji. I missed out on this fruiting stage at Yeoor !

regards,
Rashida.

rohit chakravarty

Jul 12, 2010, 10:53:42 AM7/12/10
to Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Rashida ma'am its flowering at SGNP and Karnala. :)
I had a doubt regarding the family of this plant. We were taught that the plant belongs to Euphorbiaceae but according to wikipedia, Breynia belongs to Phyllanthaceae which has been split from Euphorbiaceae. Is it taxonomically confirmed that the plant now belongs to Phyllanthaceae?
--
Rohit Chakravarty,
http://www.mywilddiary.blogspot.com/

tanay bose

Jul 12, 2010, 12:43:14 PM7/12/10
to rohit chakravarty, Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Rohit Ji,

According to

GRIN ------http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?423917

Nomenclatural and Specimen Database of the Missouri Botanical Garden ------ http://www.tropicos.org/Name/50057132

Electronic Plant Information Centre of Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew------  http://www.kew.org/science/tropamerica/neotropikey/families/Phyllanthaceae.htm

Breynia belongs to the family Phyllanthaceae.

Regards
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Rashida Atthar

Jul 13, 2010, 1:54:40 AM7/13/10
to tanay bose, rohit chakravarty, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Rohit ji ,  Dr. Almeida's flora of Mah. Vol IV, 2003,  has it in Euphorbiaceae, but the world checklist and other links as provided by Tanay ji all confirm it to be now in Phyllanthaceae.

regards,
Rashida.

rohit chakravarty

Jul 13, 2010, 12:21:06 PM7/13/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info! :)

Regards,
Rohit

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 13, 2010, 1:05:02 PM7/13/10
to rohit chakravarty, indian...@googlegroups.com
I happened to meet Dr. Hashendra S. Kathriarachchi and Dr. Rosabelle
Samuel personally, two Sri Lankan ladies who had worked intensely on
this group at University of Vienna with Dr. Steussy. They explained it
rightly why they have madehave put efforts to establish this new
family Phyllanthaceae, though many of other counterparts dont agree
with this.....
I do agree with Phyllanthaceae!!!

Regards
Pankaj