White flower tree(Samir Takaochi)

Samir Takaochi

Mar 15, 2009, 8:54:47 AM3/15/09
to indiantreepix
Thank you always for your advice. Could someone advice me for ID?

Place: Gurgaon, Haryana
Flower diameter: 2cm
Height:7m
flower.jpg
leaves.jpg
bark.jpg
overall.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Mar 15, 2009, 9:28:29 AM3/15/09
to Samir Takaochi, indiantreepix
Just that I am equally curious to know this beautiful flowers
... a wild wild guess ... looks like some Sterculiaceae member.
Regards.

Kenneth Greby

Mar 15, 2009, 10:02:23 AM3/15/09
to indiantreepix, Samir Takaochi
Samir--

 Looks like an Aleurites species, maybe A. molluccana?

Regards--
Ken Greby
Broward County, Florida USA

Barry Stock

Mar 15, 2009, 10:15:20 AM3/15/09
to Samir Takaochi, indiantreepix
It looks very much like Aleurites trisperma, a cousin of candlenut, A.
moluccana. I have several planted here.

-bs
> <flower.jpg><leaves.jpg><bark.jpg><overall.jpg>

Tabish

Mar 17, 2009, 5:05:26 AM3/17/09
to indiantreepix
I think Barry is right. This is Philippine Tung Tree - current
botanical name is Reutealis trisperma (synonym: Aleurites trisperma),
distinguished by its abnormally long leaf stalk. I heard a pesonal
account of a gardener eating the inviting-looking fruit, and nearly
dying of poisoning! More info here:
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Philippine%20Tung%20Tree.html
Cheers!
- Tabish

Samir Takaochi

Mar 17, 2009, 7:27:09 AM3/17/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Ken ji, Barry ji, Tabish ji, thank you so much for your kind reply!

I confirmed it as Aleurites trisperma on web.

Thank you!

Barry Stock

Mar 17, 2009, 8:19:04 AM3/17/09
to Samir Takaochi, Tabish, indiantreepix
It is interesting to note that the new genus, Reutealis, is simply Aleurites rearranged. Very bizarre!

-bs