346 ID wild plant Begonia

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Jul 26, 2022, 2:20:03 AM7/26/22
to efloraofindia
Please ID wild plant, kind regards, Sam.

Location: near Vannappuram, Thodupuzha, Idukki Dist., Kerala PIN:685607

Altitude: 1500fsl

Flower date: 25.07.2022, 08.45am

Habitat: wild, moisture, shady watering rock

Plant habit: rosette, erect, no stem, annual

Height: 10cm

Leaves: alternate, heart shaped, apex, fleshy soft glossy, fleshy petiole, tamarind taste, size:20×13cm

Flower: erect lengthy fleshy purplish peduncle, racemose, 04 petals, size:22×15mm, pink, non fragrant

Fruit: ovoid winged, pink into brown

Seed: black numerous, micro granular

Camera: CANON EOS1500D +FL10x
20220725084650_IMG_9328.JPG
20220725084238_IMG_9320.JPG
20220725084802_IMG_9335.JPG

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Jul 26, 2022, 2:22:26 AM7/26/22
to efloraofindia
Sharing more images
20220725084842_IMG_9338.JPG
20220725084524_IMG_9322.JPG

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Jul 26, 2022, 2:28:03 AM7/26/22
to efloraofindia
Sharing more images
20220725084931_IMG_9339.JPG
20220725084828_IMG_9337.JPG

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Jul 26, 2022, 2:32:01 AM7/26/22
to efloraofindia
Sharing more images
20220725084747_IMG_9334.JPG
20220725085042_IMG_9342.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Jul 26, 2022, 4:13:35 AM7/26/22
to efloraindia, Sam Kuzhalanattu, J.M. Garg
Begonia picta Sm.!
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Jul 26, 2022, 8:42:20 AM7/26/22
to Saroj Kasaju, efloraindia, J.M. Garg
Yes, it is Begonia picta, dear Saroj ji, thank you very much for ID my plant, with kind regards, Sam.

Saroj Kasaju

Jul 26, 2022, 11:07:33 AM7/26/22
to Sam Kuzhalanattu, efloraindia, J.M. Garg
OK Sam !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Aug 1, 2022, 11:02:48 AM8/1/22
to efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju, Sam Kuzhalanattu

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Begonia picta Sm.!
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Yes, it is Begonia picta, dear Saroj ji, thank you very much for ID my plant, with kind regards, Sam.

20220725084524_IMG_9322 rs.JPG
20220725084747_IMG_9334 rs.JPG
20220725084828_IMG_9337 rs.JPG
20220725085042_IMG_9342 rs.JPG
20220725084931_IMG_9339 rs.JPG
20220725084842_IMG_9338 rs.JPG
20220725084650_IMG_9328 rs.JPG
20220725084802_IMG_9335 rs.JPG
20220725084238_IMG_9320 rs.JPG

J.M. Garg

Aug 1, 2022, 11:22:10 AM8/1/22
to Mark Hughes, efloraofindia, Madhavi Sreenath, Saroj Kasaju, Sam Kuzhalanattu
Thanks a lot, Mark ji

On Mon, 1 Aug 2022 at 20:46, Mark Hughes <MHu...@rbge.org.uk> wrote:

This has glabrous fruit and leaves, and B. picta doesn’t occur as far south as Kerala. I think B. cordifolia is a better match.

https://padme.rbge.org.uk/Begonia/Data/specimens?padme_collector_names_ss=&padme_collector_number_s=&padme_collection_locality_ss=Kerala&padme_current_epithet_s=cordifolia&padme_herbarium_s=

best wishes

Mark

The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh is a charity registered in Scotland (No SC007983) | Support Us

This notice applies to this email and to any other email subsequently sent by anyone at RBGE and appearing in the same chain of email correspondence. References below to "this email" should be read accordingly. This e-mail and its attachments (if any) are confidential, may be protected by copyright and may be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, notify us immediately by reply e-mail, delete it and do not use, disclose or copy it. Unless we expressly say otherwise in this e-mail, this e-mail does not create, form part of, or vary, any contractual or unilateral obligation. No liability is accepted for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan attachments (if any). Where this e-mail is unrelated to the business of RBGE, the opinions expressed within this e-mail are the opinions of the sender and do not necessarily constitute those of RBGE. RBGE emails are filtered and monitored.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Aug 2, 2022, 3:25:41 AM8/2/22
to J.M. Garg, Mark Hughes, efloraofindia, Madhavi Sreenath, Saroj Kasaju
Dear Mark ji,
Yes, it appears to Begonia cordifolia, thank you very much for ID my plant and link provided for identifying, with kind regards, Sam.