Request for ID- 300610RA2

Rashida Atthar

Jun 30, 2010, 1:04:22 PM6/30/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Request ID of this plant please. Thank you.

Date/Time :

30 June 2010- 8.00am

Location- Place, altitude and GPS:

South end of national park in Mumbai.

Habitat- garden/ urban/wild/type:

Wild

Plant Habit-tree/shrub/climber/herb:

Looks like scandent shrub or a small tree

Height/length:

5 to 6 ft

Leaves-type/shape/size:

Oblong, acuminate. Glabrous above, prominent venation behind. A lot of latex.

Inflorescence type /size:

-----

Flowers-size/colour/calyx/bracts:

-----

Fruits type-shape/size/seeds:

------

Fragrance/odour/pollinator/uses  and so on:

------

regards,

Rashida.

UNID leaves.JPG
UNID leaves2 .JPG
UNID Branching .JPG
unid back leaves.JPG
UNID bark.JPG

Neil Soares

Jun 30, 2010, 2:08:41 PM6/30/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Rashida Atthar
Hi Rashida,
 Are all the photographs of the same plant. The first and third definitely look like Ukshi [Calycopteris floribunda].
                        Regards,
                         Neil.

--- On Wed, 6/30/10, Rashida Atthar <atthar....@gmail.com> wrote:

30 June 2010- 8.00am

regards,

Rashida.

Divakar

Jun 30, 2010, 11:52:28 PM6/30/10
to efloraofindia
First one likely to be Calycopteris floribunda (Combretaceae)
-Divakar

On Jun 30, 11:08 pm, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Rashida,
>  Are all the photographs of the same plant. The first and third definitely look like Ukshi [Calycopteris floribunda].
>                         Regards,
>                          Neil.

Usha Desai

Jul 1, 2010, 3:57:11 AM7/1/10
to Divakar, efloraofindia
HI Neil and Divekarji
I was there...and all photos are of the same plant.What was amazing was it had a lot of milky latex.Does Ukshi have latex?.it is from combrataceae family
..Usha Desai

Rajdeo Singh

Jul 1, 2010, 6:57:31 AM7/1/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Rashida Atthar
Hi,
    all the photos posted are not of the same plant. the 1st photo is of Calycopteris floribunda, while all the remaining photos looks like wrightia tomentosa (tambda Kuda)
please do check the leaves are glabrous or tomentose

Rajdeo Singh
Mumbai

Jul 1, 2010, 9:29:11 AM7/1/10
to Rajdeo Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Neil, attaching some more pics of the plant. The first pic. has one branch with imparipinnate leaves,  the one seen on top right corner, the rest are paripinnate. The last pair of leaflets were smaller and therefore look as if they are from a different plant.

regards,
Rashida
Addi unid imparripinnate .JPG
Addi unid branches.JPG
Addi unid branching 2.JPG
Additional UNID 1.JPG
Additional unid2.JPG

Neil Soares

Jul 1, 2010, 12:47:33 PM7/1/10
to Rajdeo Singh, Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rashida,
  Think your plant is Ukshi [Calycopteris floribunda]. Had had a dilemma with this similar looking plant on my farm until Dr.Almeida came and set the record straight. Sending you some photographs for comparison.
                    Regards,
                      Neil.

Wild

Calycopteris floribuda sapling 1.jpg
Calycopteris floribuda sapling 2.jpg
Calycopteris floribuda sapling 3.jpg

Rashida Atthar

Jul 2, 2010, 12:12:13 PM7/2/10
to Neil Soares, Rajdeo Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Neil, both the sets matching, does your plant have latex? Am not convinced of the ID. Combretaceae does not have latex, could be some Wrightia? will check the plant again soon.

regards,
Rashida.

Nudrat

Jul 5, 2010, 4:48:41 AM7/5/10
to efloraofindia
Hello,

I feel, if the plant has latex then it surely is Wrightia arborea as
Combretaceae lacks latex.

On Jul 2, 9:12 pm, Rashida Atthar <atthar.rash...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Neil, both the sets matching, does your plant have latex? Am not
> convinced of the ID. Combretaceae does not have latex, could be some
> Wrightia? will check the plant again soon.
>
> regards,
> Rashida.
>

> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 10:17 PM, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi Rashida,
> >   Think your plant is Ukshi [Calycopteris floribunda]. Had had a dilemma
> > with this similar looking plant on my farm until Dr.Almeida came and set the
> > record straight. Sending you some photographs for comparison.
> >                     Regards,
> >                       Neil.

Rashida Atthar

Jul 10, 2010, 4:09:05 AM7/10/10
to Nudrat, efloraofindia
Checked the same plant again today, latex  very much present so most probably Wrightia sp.

regards,
Rashida.

UNID1.JPG
UNID2.JPG
UNID3.JPG
UNID4.JPG
UNID8.JPG

shubhada nikharge

Jul 10, 2010, 3:40:27 PM7/10/10
to Rashida Atthar, Nudrat, efloraofindia
Dear Rashida and Nudrat,

The leaves of Wrightia arborea (Tambda Kuda) r opposite, elliptic with fine tips and velvety.
The leaves in the pic that u have attached r not velvety. (i have posted pics of W. arborea in the separate mail to compare the leaves) and the plant looks like a scandent shrub to me and not a tree.
The leaves are definitely diff. from those of
Wrightia tinctoria. ( kala Kuda)
They look more similar to Calycopteris floribunda (Ukshi). But the plant in the pic has latex which is not present in C. floribunda. The branching pattern is also diff from that of C. floribunda.
So mystery is still unresolved.
I have attached the pics of the same plant again.
Our mesterious plant is just next to the plant of C. floribunda. So leaves of both plants are mixed up. that is why Neil also got confused.

Anyway, Nudrat, thanx a lot for ur help in Rani bagh work. ( I presume that u r the same Nudrat who i met a year ago.)

Cheers,
Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

From: Rashida Atthar <atthar....@gmail.com>
To: Nudrat <nudrat.cat@gmail.com>

Nudrat Sayed

Jul 11, 2010, 4:11:28 AM7/11/10
to shubhada nikharge, Rashida Atthar, efloraofindia
Hi There,

There is no question of the plant being Wrightia tinctoria. As far as Wrightiia arborea is concerned, the young leaves are velvetty only.

Theleaves do look like those belonging to a Combretaceae but as it was mentioned that the plant had abundant latex, so latex is present only in a few families rather genera. Hence i said i would go for Wrightia arborea.

Yes i am the same Nudrat who you met at CAT a yr ago in regards the Rani Bagh issue. However i no longer work with CAT. At present i work with BEAG.

Take Care
Regards
Nudrat

From: Rashida Atthar <atthar....@gmail.com>
To: Nudrat <nudrat.cat@gmail.com>

--
Regards
Dr. Sayed Nudrat Zawar

Rashida Atthar

Jul 11, 2010, 7:09:39 AM7/11/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to everyone for the feedback and ID. So as of now I take this to be Wrightia arborea. If there is any deference from the above, please inform.

regards,
Rashida.

Jul 11, 2010, 7:24:15 AM7/11/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Jul 11, 2010, 7:42:16 AM7/11/10
to efloraofindia
I agree with Kunjhikannan sir but I have a feeling that the Wrghitia
is W.tinctoria, because W.arborea is a synn. for W.tomentosa. Here
the pictures are of a glabrous plant, I guess. Am I correct
Rashidaji?

Regards,
Giby

On Jul 11, 4:09 pm, Rashida Atthar <atthar.rash...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks to everyone for the feedback and ID. So as of now I take this to be
> Wrightia arborea. If there is any deference from the above, please inform.
>
> regards,
> Rashida.

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Jul 11, 2010, 7:45:58 AM7/11/10