A Novel Member Of The Boraginaceae Family From The Kashmir Valley

taffa...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2023, 5:26:31 AM1/14/23
to eFloraofIndia

Dear members,

In late December I noticed an unusual weed growing in a field (34 / 02/ 43 N , 74/ 48/30 E ) in Srinagar. I misidentified it and posted it on efi website as stoneseed  (Lithospermum arvense).  Garg ji pointed out that it was not Lithospermum arvense and suggested that it was N.edgeworthii. As N.edgeworthii  had never before been reported from the Kashmir valley I  carefully reexamined the herb and  after examining all the features have come to the conclusion that it is a novel species of the Boraginaceae family which has never before been reported from the Kashmir Valley. Indeed I suggested it could be named Apononea bagathii  (Apo is "away from" and Bagath is the locality where it was found. The entire discussion can be viewed at:  https://groups.google.com/g/indiantreepix/c/XNgmai55Uao/m/8p1ruFTZAAAJ?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

Although its habit very closely resembles N.edgeworthii   and like N.edgeworthii  its stamens are situated just below the throat in the corolla tube attached with very short filaments and the style is very short and included and the shape and morphology of its nutlets is very similar to that found in the genus Nonea  yet it differs in having a polysepalous calyx while the  calyx of the members of the genus Nonea Medik is invariably gamosepalous. The presence of a polysepalous calyx leaves us no option but to put it in a separate genus. Some other ways in which it differs from N.edgeworthii are given below:

1. Nutlet does not have longitudinal denticulations

2.The bottom of the corolla tube is sinuous and not straight

3.It is not an annual as the plant which I transferred to a planter in late December is still thriving and seems to enjoy the subzero temperatures of( -5 C)-(-6 C) prevailing at present in Srinagar. This suggests that its real habitat might be alpine. The hairs might be having some natural antifreeze.

4. Its carrot like root also suggests that it might be a perennial.

For the above reasons I am posting it as a new thread. Over the next few days I will repost the photos and other data with this thread in which I hope to include a short review of existing members of Boraginaceae reported from the valley till now.

As Avery said in a letter to his brother “It is a lot of fun to blow bubbles but it is better to prick them yourself.” So I would request the members to prick this bubble and suggest a plausible ID for this herb.

With regards

Taffazull

2

J.M. Garg

Jan 14, 2023, 5:43:23 AM1/14/23
to efloraofindia, TAFA
Thanks a lot, Taffazull ji.
I hope somebody can shed more light on it.
All details are available at eFloraofIndia discussion post

With regards,
J.M.Garg

taffa...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2023, 5:50:04 AM1/14/23
to eFloraofIndia
Habit: Herb about 15 cm tall. Stems branched from base. Hairy with short hairs  mixed with long erect ones upto 2mm long. Both short and long hairs arise from a swollen base (See Photo of Hair (X 100  mag )clearly showing the swollen base).
PLANT21DECFIELD.JPG
PLANT2 SCALE inmm2.JPG
LEAFHAIRX100.JPG

taffa...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2023, 5:51:52 AM1/14/23
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Garg ji,
Thanks a lot for your kind encouragement.
Regards
Taffazull

taffa...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2023, 5:55:04 AM1/14/23
to eFloraofIndia
Somehow a lot of empty space has been included after the post . As I cant edit it would request byou to kindly delete the same'
Regards
Taffazull

J.M. Garg

Jan 14, 2023, 7:11:54 AM1/14/23
to efloraofindia, TAFA
Does not matter much. Do not worry about that.
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

taffa...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2023, 7:56:19 AM1/14/23
to eFloraofIndia
OK
Thanks
Regards
Taffazull

Saroj Kasaju

Jan 14, 2023, 9:03:39 AM1/14/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, taff...@yahoo.com, J.M. Garg
Did not find Apononea bagathii  anywhere in net and database.

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

taffa...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2023, 9:36:28 AM1/14/23
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Saroj ji,
This is my proposal.Unless it is accepted ,ànd that is a big if, it will exist only in my mind and the efi pages.
Thanks for having a look at my proposal
With sincere regards
Taffazull

Saroj Kasaju

Jan 14, 2023, 9:51:25 AM1/14/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, taff...@yahoo.com
OK. !

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

taffa...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2023, 2:27:25 AM1/15/23
to eFloraofIndia
DETAILS OF LEAVES
Leaves lanceolate (Basal) to oblanceolate (cauline). Basal and cauline leaves 50-100 X 20-10 mm. Basal leaves sessile  or almost sessile. Cauline leaves with winged petioles. Leaves covered  with small and large erect hairs similar to those on the stem and like them arising from swollen bases. These swollen bases appear like numerous small swellings (tubercles) to the unaided eye (see photos).
Notes on Photos (From L to R)
Photo1: Microphotograph of leaf hair magnificationX100. The swollen base of the hair is clearly visible
Photo2 and Photo 4: Note the winged petioles of cauline leaves and swollen bases of hairs appearing like numerous tubercles
Photo5: Note the hairy surface covered with short and long erect hairs
Photo 6 and Photo 7: Note 5mm thick stem and sessile basal leaves.
LEAFDorsalX20.JPG
LEAFDETAIL.JPG
LEAFHAIRX100.JPG
BASAL LEAF.JPG
LEAFDORSALSURFACE.JPG
LEAFVENTRAL.JPG
WINGEDPETIOLE.JPG

taffa...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2023, 9:23:06 AM1/16/23
to eFloraofIndia
An important correction:
In my first post the paragraph :

 “.. the  shape and morphology of its nutlets is very similar to that found in the genus Nonea   yet it differs in having a polysepalous calyx while the  calyx of the members of the genus Nonea Medik is invariably gamosepalous. The presence of a polysepalous calyx leaves us no option but to put it in a separate genus.”

should be replaced by the following paragraph:

“..the shape and morphology of its nutlets is very similar to that found in the genus Nonea yet it differs in having a calyx in which the lobes are divided to the base while the calyx of the members of the genus Nonea Medik is invariably 5 fid shortly or ½ of its length but never divided to the base and the tube is enclosing the nutlets. The presence of a calyx with lobes divided to the base and hence no  tube enclosing the nutlets leaves us with no option but to put it in a separate genus.”

It is my endeavor to correct any inaccuracies that tend to creep into an informal write up. I  request the members also to make me aware of any discrepancies between the photos that I post and my written statements.

Regards

Taffazull

taffa...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2023, 9:33:34 AM1/16/23
to eFloraofIndia
Details of  the root of the herb:
While transferring the herb to a planter i noticed that it has a thick tap root like a carrot (see photos) and if its function is food storage then it supports the view that the herb is either a biennial or a perennial. The herb is still doing tolerably well in the planter nearly a month after its transfer but so far none of the seeds which I placed on moist sand have germinated. Maybe they need some exposure to low temperature before they (hopefully)germinate.
ROOT2.jpg
ROOT1.jpg
ROOTR3.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jan 16, 2023, 7:52:52 PM1/16/23
to efloraofindia, TAFA
Thanks, Taffazull ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

taffa...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2023, 7:52:44 AM1/17/23
to eFloraofIndia
Details of flower
Inflorescence short. Flowers SubSessile but pedicels up to 7mm in fruit.
Details of calyx:
Calyx  hairy ,accrescent, 4-5 mm but 5-6mm in fruit. 5-fid, divided to the base( This distinguishes it from the genus Nonea in which the calyx is never divided to the base.) Calyx lobes surround the fruit.
Note:
In Photo 6 calyx lobes have been spread out to show their division to the base.
CALYX1.JPG
ACCRESENTCALYXFRUIT 6.JPG
CALYXFRUIT4.JPG
CALYX2.JPG
INFLORESCENCE.JPG
FLOWER.JPG
CALYXFRUIT 5.JPG

J.M. Garg

Jan 17, 2023, 8:09:58 AM1/17/23
to efloraofindia, TAFA
Thanks, Taffazull ji
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

taffa...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2023, 9:44:54 AM1/18/23
to eFloraofIndia
Details of corolla:
Corolla  4.5mm  ,.white, infundibuliform. lobes 5, about 1-1.5mm long , broad , obtuse and crenulate.  corolla tube 3mm long with a sinuous bend  at bottom, Very delicately attached and tends to fall off easily {See photo)

Details of androecium:
Stamens 5 ,epipetalous , filaments very short, Stamens  inserted below the throat in the middle of the tube (see photo),  ,anthers  about1mm long, included.

Pollen grains
cigar shaped (perprolate), monosulcate
COROLLA.JPG
POLLEN(x675).JPG
ANTHERS1.JPG
POLLEN3(1500 X).JPG

J.M. Garg

Jan 20, 2023, 5:07:02 AM1/20/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Taffazull ji, for so many details.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

taffa...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2023, 10:08:52 AM1/20/23
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Garg ji,
Thanks  for appreciation
Would like to put on record that in near future I would be submitting a paper to Kew Bulletin " Apononea bagathii  a new genus of Boraginaceae from Kashmir Valley" regarding which I have already placed some information for discussion among  our group members as I am  convinced that it is a new, so far unreported genus of the family. Would be grateful for a plausible, evidence based contrary opinion
With regards
Taffazull

taffa...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2023, 10:36:16 AM1/20/23
to eFloraofIndia
Details of gynoecium :
Ovary superior, style 2mm, gynobasic with flat base(see photo), about 1mm protrudes above the four nutlets, included, stigma bilobed
Note:
In PHOTO 2 two nutlets have been removed to expose the gynobasic style and flat base,

PHOTO3.JPG
PHOTO 1.JPG
STIGMA100X.JPG
BIFIDSTIGMA.JPG
PHOTO2.JPG

J.M. Garg

Jan 20, 2023, 3:12:59 PM1/20/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, TAFA
Thanks, Taffazull ji.
That would be great.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

taffa...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2023, 3:12:40 AM1/21/23
to eFloraofIndia
Details of nutlets.
Nutlets 4, yellowish brown, 4mm long and 2mm high,  beaked, rugose, convex above, ridges prominent with tubercles between the ridges, attachment subventral ,areola of thick prominent collar 0.4-0.5mm high, margin entire without denticulations
Notes:
PHOTO 1 Nutlets
PHOTO2  Nutlet side view
PHOTO 3 Nutlet from above
PHOTO 4 Nutlet from below
PHOTO 5 Sketch of a nutlet
PHOTO 6 Attachment of nutlet to ovary wall
PHOTO 7 Attachment of nutlet to ovary wall
PHOTO 8 Nutlets in fruit
PHOTO8.JPG
PHOTO 2.JPG
PHOTO 4.JPG
PHOTO5.JPG
PHOTO 1.JPG
PHOTO6.JPG
PHOTO3.JPG
PHOTO 7.JPG

taffa...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2023, 4:31:49 AM1/21/23
to eFloraofIndia
A correction:
Length of nutlet is 3 mm and not 4 mm as is clear from the photo. So nutlet is 3 mm long and 2mm high
Regards
Taffazull

taffa...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2023, 2:31:18 AM1/22/23
to eFloraofIndia
Three more photos:
Photo 1 shows leaf with small(1mm or less) adpressed hairs and Large(>1mm) erect hairs. These hairs are present on both stems and leaves.
Photo2 shows the swollen base of a small adpressed hair at X150 magnification
Photo3 shows the swollen base of a large erect hair at X150 magnification
This shows that both adpressed and erect hairs have swollen bases when seen  under a microscope. However to the unaided eye it appears that only the larger hairs have swollen bases as mentioned by some authors while describing the genus Nonea.

photo3 large hairX150.JPG
photo1 smallandlargehairsX20.JPG
photo2 smalladpressedhairX150.JPG

J.M. Garg

Jan 22, 2023, 7:27:05 AM1/22/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot, Taffazull ji

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

taffa...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2023, 6:21:11 AM1/23/23
to eFloraofIndia
Note on reported genera of Boraginaceae from Kashmir:

The following genera of the family Boraginaceae have been reported from  Kashmir (Reference:  Dhar.U and Kachroo.P. 1983.Alpine Flora of Kashmir Himalaya.
133-135.Scientific Publishers .India)
1.Actinocarya  2.Arnebia  3.Cynoglossum 4.Eritrichium 5.Hackelia 6.Lappula 7.Lasiocaryum 8.Lindelofia 9.Lithospermum 10.Mattiastrum 11.Microula 12.Myosotis 13.Onosma 14. Pseudomertensia 15.Rochelia 16.Solenanthus and 17. Trigonotis
Of these 17 genera  twelve(12 ) genera i.e  those listed at Sr.No 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,10,11,15,16 and 17  are exclusively alpine/subalpine. Of the remaining 5 genera Lithospermum officinale  is described as a common weed in Kashmir.

J.M. Garg

Jan 23, 2023, 6:25:46 AM1/23/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Taffazull ji

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Jan 24, 2023, 2:55:03 AM1/24/23
to efloraofindia, TAFA
Thanks, Taffazull ji
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

taffa...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2023, 8:51:36 AM3/4/23
to eFloraofIndia
Updates on Apononea baghatii  :

Photo1: Plant transferred to planter is doing well showing it is a perennial. Note flowers in terminal inflorescences at the ends of short lateral branches. These were probably present when it was transferred to planter last year and have now developed  with the advent of Spring.
Photo 2: A single flower
Photo 3 :Faucal appendages above the throat and neither fimbriated nor velvety. This is another difference from Nonea
Photo 4:Corolla tube cut to show lower very hairy part of the faucal appendages
Photo 5: Calyx removed to show geniculated corolla tube. The  brownish yellow anthers can be seen just above the bend in the corolla tube.
Photo 7: Anthers inserted in the Corolla tube just above the bend in the tube
Photo 8:Anthers.Filaments are very short and attachment is sub basal.
Photo9: Ovary with gynobasic style and bifid stigma. Outlines of four ovules are distinctly visible
Regards
Taffazull

PLANTphoto1.JPG
FAPHOTO3.JPG
Photo5.JPG
Antherphoto7.JPG
flowerphoto2.JPG
FAPHOTO4.JPG
ovaryphoto9.JPG
antherphoto8.JPG

taffa...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2023, 3:58:14 AM3/9/23
to eFloraofIndia
Two more photos of faucal appendages :
Photo1 and Photo2 : Corolla lobes removed to show the very hairy faucal appendages. They are completely covered with hairs
Photo 2.JPG
Photo1.JPG

J.M. Garg

Mar 10, 2023, 1:07:19 AM3/10/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, TAFA
Thanks, Taffazull ji

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

taffa...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2023, 2:16:30 AM3/27/23
to eFloraofIndia
Two updates:
1.Photo of Plant in planter in full bloom. Photo dated 20th of March
2,Photo showing inflorescence racemose in fruit.

RACEMOSE IN FRUIT.JPG
PLANTER20MARCH.JPG

J.M. Garg

Mar 27, 2023, 6:27:54 AM3/27/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, TAFA
Thanks, Taffazull ji

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

taffa...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2023, 3:03:16 AM6/12/23
to eFloraofIndia
An update  :
The plant which was in full bloom in March has finally died in May.
This shows that it is a biennial.
Photo taken on 18th May is attached
Regards
Taffazull

DEADPLANT.jpg

taffa...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2023, 6:09:53 AM7/12/23
to eFloraofIndia

Update on Apononea baghatensis  (Apononea baghatensis  Syed is the name that I propose for this plant as till date none of the members have suggested an appropriate ID for the plant. Would request members to suggest a correction if needed.)
Photo of new seedlings from seeds that had fallen in the planter in April  is attached . The plant is a biennial. These seedlings will grow into new plants and these will flower in March-April next year and then die.

Regards

Taffazull

NEWPLANTS.JPG

taffa...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2023, 9:19:52 AM7/18/23
to eFloraofIndia
Update:
Photo of germinating seed taken today 18th July 2023. Radicle comes out  from the pointed end of the nutlet away from the areola.
Regards
Taffazull

Germinating seed18July.JPG