[efloraofindia:34707] Barleria lupulina from Delhi

Gurcharan Singh

May 13, 2010, 5:44:22 AM5/13/10
to efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Barleria lupulina Lindl. from Herbal Garden, Punjabi Bagh New Delhi. English Name Hophead, Philippine violet; Bengali: Vishellakarani. A popular medicinal plant distributed in Madagascar and mountains of Southern and Western India. Studies suggest that the methanol extract of aerial parts of Barleria lupulina Lindl. has a protective effect against experimental gastric and duodenal ulcers.

More local names are sought from members.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Barleria-lupulina-Delhi-1.jpg
Barleria-lupulina-Delhi-2.jpg
Barleria-lupulina-Delhi-3.jpg

Dinesh Valke

May 13, 2010, 5:58:04 AM5/13/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
... but it is least discussed on internet (my perception when attempted to compile information about 1 - 2 years ago).
Many thanks for sharing the sight, Gurcharan ji.

Remember discussing with Tabish about it belonging to India, because -- then could fetch name only in one Indian language: Bengali.

... commonly known as: hop-headed barleria, hophead, hophead Philippine violet, porcupine flower, snake bush • Bengali: বিসল্যকরনী vishalyakarani

Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

May 13, 2010, 6:06:58 AM5/13/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Yes Dinesh.
 I perhaps wrote Madacascar in error. It is Mauritius. It is described in Hooker's Flora of British India, and Flora of Java. Strange we have few local names. Useful Plants of India by CSIR does not list it, may be medicinal importance is recent attention. I have simultaneously posted this on Bodhi group also. Let us wait for inputs from them also.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

May 13, 2010, 6:13:24 AM5/13/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Dinesh ji
The plant is supposed to be part of Thai folklore medicine. Recently its extracts have been tested against Herpes virus (Virucidal effects of organic extracts of these two plants against herpes simplex virus type 2 strain G, HSV-2 (G), the standard HSV-2 strain were noted)

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dinesh Valke

May 13, 2010, 6:51:10 AM5/13/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks Gurcharan ji ... eager to know from other friends, its presence (distribution) across India.
In Thane, was lucky to find it (only once) growing in untended area beneath a flyover.
Regards.

Satish Chile

May 13, 2010, 7:01:29 AM5/13/10
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Gurcharan ji, Thanks for introducing with one more sp. of Barleria  Barleria lupulina Lindl.
Satish
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

tanay bose

May 13, 2010, 8:32:45 AM5/13/10
to Satish Chile, Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the Photograph Sir Ji and ans great elabprated information from Dinesh Ji
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Gurcharan Singh

May 13, 2010, 9:22:51 AM5/13/10
to bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia
Sheji ji
This species is very distinct species, much different from B. prionitis being unarmed, with soft willow like narrow leaves, and inflorescence forming a compact club like structure.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 6:43 PM, sheji <shej...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Guruji & Dinesh ji,
In ayurveda, Barleria sps comes under the name *saireyaka*/
*sahachara* . depenting on the flower colour 4 varieties are being
mentioned

1. white flower   - B.cristata
2.yellow flower  - B.prionitis
3.red flower    - B.cristata
4. blue flower - B.strigosa.

if the plant mentioned here is among them , its a very important drug
used in ayurveda.

On May 13, 3:51 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Many thanks Gurcharan ji ... eager to know from other friends, its presence
> (distribution) across India.
> In Thane, was lucky to find it (only once) growing in untended area beneath
> a flyover.
> Regards.
>

> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dinesh ji
> > The plant is supposed to be part of Thai folklore medicine. Recently its
> > extracts have been tested against Herpes virus (Virucidal effects of
> > organic extracts of these two plants against herpes simplex virus type 2
> > strain G, HSV-2 (G), the standard HSV-2 strain were noted)
>

> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

> > On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Yes Dinesh.
> >>  I perhaps wrote Madacascar in error. It is Mauritius. It is described in
> >> Hooker's Flora of British India, and Flora of Java. Strange we have few
> >> local names. Useful Plants of India by CSIR does not list it, may be
> >> medicinal importance is recent attention. I have simultaneously posted this
> >> on Bodhi group also. Let us wait for inputs from them also.
>
> >> --
>
> >> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> >> Retired  Associate Professor
> >> SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> >> Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> >> Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

Pardeshi S.

May 13, 2010, 9:42:08 AM5/13/10
to efloraofindia
Dinesh ji it is planted in Sagar Upwan and also near churchgate
station subway income tax bhawan end, opposite petrolpump.

Regards

On May 13, 5:32 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the Photograph Sir Ji and ans great elabprated information from
> Dinesh Ji
> Tanay
>

> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Satish Chile <chilesat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Gurcharan ji, Thanks for introducing with one more sp. of Barleria  *Barleria
> > lupulina* Lindl.
> > Satish
>
> > On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Many thanks Gurcharan ji ... eager to know from other friends, its
> >> presence (distribution) across India.
> >> In Thane, was lucky to find it (only once) growing in untended area
> >> beneath a flyover.
> >> Regards.

> >> --
>
> > --
> > Dr. Satish Kumar Chile
>
> > --
>
> --
> Tanay Bose
> +91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
> 9830439691(Mobile)
> 9674221362 (Mobile)

Rashida Atthar

May 13, 2010, 9:56:25 AM5/13/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Nice pictures Sir, a new plant for me. Thanks for sharing.

regards,
Rashida.