Needed your help with possible suggestions for brk damage in this young Anthocephalus cadamba tree

Rakesh Biswas

Sep 5, 2010, 11:54:09 AM9/5/10
to indiantreepix
I have attached two pictures of bark damage secondary to drastic pruning of young Anthocephalus cadamba branches. There seem to be holes in the bark ( ? due to termite infestation secondary to damaged bark) and we are concerned that the tree may not survive the damage.

Please let us know the possible prognosis in this case as well as solutions to prevent a premature demise in this tree.

regards,

rakesh
Kadamba bark damage 2.jpg
kadamba bark damage.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 5, 2010, 12:01:38 PM9/5/10
to Rakesh Biswas, indiantreepix
dont worry, it will survive. I assume it has already started
healing.... Termites will only eat up the dead wood I assume.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Neil Soares

Sep 5, 2010, 12:27:55 PM9/5/10
to indiantreepix, Rakesh Biswas
Hi Mr. Biswas,
  Your tree seems to have been attacked by Wood borers [generally Long-horned Beetle larve]. Am sure Ken will be able to help us with this.
                    Regards,
                      Neil Soares.

Rakesh Biswas

Sep 5, 2010, 1:23:25 PM9/5/10
to Usha Ghosh
Thanks Dr Ghosh,

We shall try and inject the holes with Neem oil.

regards,

rakesh

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 10:47 PM, Usha Ghosh <ghos...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Rakesh

It seems that the tree is attacked by some borer insect. It needs to be injected with borer specific insecticide which can be procured from any agricultural shop. The simplest insecticide can be neem oil. Here the termites are secondary infection to the dead wood. You need not use any termite specific insecticide. Once you can remove the primary culprit, the secondary infection will go automatically. You can find some holes created by the borers, the neem oil can be injected through these holes through normal 10-15 ml. hypodermic syringes.

Regards

Sudhir Ghosh

Pankaj Oudhia

Sep 5, 2010, 2:08:00 PM9/5/10
to efloraofindia
Rakesh ji,

  Here is one traditional knowledge based solution. Bring Dhol locally known as Mandar and play it nearer to the affected tree. The vibrations created will force the insects to come out and leave the affected tree. Through this way you can get rid from insects without killing it.

When Sal Borer attacked in Shorea trees in millions of hactares in Madhya Pradesh in my report based on surveys I suggested this method proposed by the tribals.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Rakesh Biswas

Sep 5, 2010, 10:54:49 PM9/5/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Thanks Pankaj ji for this interesting solution.

regards,

rakesh