Campsis radicans 'Flava' at FOI

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 28, 2010, 12:22:48 AM7/28/10
to efloraofindia
Discussion on Campsis plants leads me to think that : Campsis radicans 'Flava'  on FOI website posted by Aarti ji may not be Campsis at all. The shape of leaves and curved corolla tube much narrowed towards base suggests it may be belonging to some other genus possibly Tecomaria. Here is real Campsis radicans 'Flava' for comparison:

http://summerhillseeds.com/campsis-radicans-flava-yellow-blooms-p-735.html

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Tabish

Jul 28, 2010, 3:04:05 AM7/28/10
to efloraofindia
Hmm... food for thought. If what Gurcharan ji is suggesting is
correct, then Arti's plant here
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Yellow%20Trumpet%20Creeper.html
could actually be Tecoma fulva:
http://www.meemelink.com/prints%20pages/12834.Bignoniaceae%20-%20Tecoma%20fulva.htm
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Cahuato.html
Can't say anything confidently right now.
- Tabish

On Jul 28, 9:22 am, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Discussion on Campsis plants leads me to think that *:* *Campsis radicans
> 'Flava'*  on FOI website posted by Aarti ji may not be Campsis at all. The
> shape of leaves and curved corolla tube much narrowed towards base suggests
> it may be belonging to some other genus possibly Tecomaria. Here is real
> Campsis radicans 'Flava' for comparison:
>
> http://summerhillseeds.com/campsis-radicans-flava-yellow-blooms-p-735...

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 28, 2010, 3:10:40 AM7/28/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Yes Tabish sir,
At one point I also thought that his current plant too is either
Tecoma or Tecomopsis or may be Tecomella. This group seems to be very
tricky. So I am not sure about the id.
Regards
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 28, 2010, 3:50:14 AM7/28/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Tabish, efloraofindia
This is what (from eFlora of Pakistan) should help:

11 (10) Corolla infundibuliform, ± curved, 4-lobed  Tecomaria
+Corolla broad campanulate-ventricose, 5-lobed  Tecoma

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 28, 2010, 4:06:51 AM7/28/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Tabish, efloraofindia
Oh I missed, there is one more, Tecomaria....as all these name suggests, (tecomaria, Tecomella, and Tecomopsis), it basically means, they look like Tecoma. To me Infundibuliformis and campanulate, doesnt make much difference, former means funnel shaped and latter means bell shaped, and both characters have very frequently being used together. Or may be funnel shaped opens upward and bell shaped opens downwards.....will have to check....this is getting interesting.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 28, 2010, 4:08:13 AM7/28/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Tabish, efloraofindia
To tabish sir,
You know I thought both of ur link belongs to the same plant.... :).
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 28, 2010, 4:25:54 AM7/28/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Tabish, efloraofindia
Tecomella has simple entire leaves. This one from FOI has compound leaves with serrate leaflets.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Jul 28, 2010, 4:58:53 AM7/28/10
to efloraofindia
Sorry, but my intention was to say that the two links provided by
Tabish sir from FOI belong to the same plant. Yes your plant is a
different one for sure.
Regards
Pankaj

Tabish

Jul 28, 2010, 5:11:16 AM7/28/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Gurcharan ji,
Thanks for the links. As of now, Tecomaria is considered a synonym
of Tecoma, as per GRIN:
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/genus.pl?16721
So, it appears to me that Arti's plant here:
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Yellow%20Trumpet%20Creeper.html
is actually Tecoma fulva:
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Cahuato.html
Pankaj already feels that these two plants are the same. I would like
to have opinion from others if this inference of mine appears to be
correct.
- Tabish

On Jul 28, 12:50 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is what (from eFlora of Pakistan) should help:
>
>    11 (10)<http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=10102#KEY-...>Corolla
> infundibuliform, ± curved, 4-lobed
> Tecomaria<http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=132364>
> +Corolla broad campanulate-ventricose, 5-lobed
> Tecoma<http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=132362>
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Yes Tabish sir,
> > At one point I also thought that his current plant too is either
> > Tecoma or Tecomopsis or may be Tecomella. This group seems to be very
> > tricky. So I am not sure about the id.
> > Regards
> > Pankaj
>
> > On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Tabish <tabi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hmm... food for thought. If what Gurcharan ji is suggesting is
> > > correct, then Arti's plant here
>
> >http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Yellow%20Trumpet%20Creep...
> > > could actually be Tecoma fulva:
>
> >http://www.meemelink.com/prints%20pages/12834.Bignoniaceae%20-%20Teco...

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 28, 2010, 8:43:55 AM7/28/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Thanks Tabish ji
You are right. Happy that identity of Aarti's plant is resolved. Let us now devote some attention to Delhi Campsis now posted today by me, posted by Balkar ji (as C. grandiflora???? and identified by us as C. radicans) and also on FOI as C. radicans:

I am tempted to believe (shorter corolla tube, broader corolla limb, calyx parted nearly up to middle, flower bud with gradually narrowed tip) that this may be smaller flowered cultivar of C. grandiflora. In C. radicans which I uploaded from Kashmir, the corolla tube is much longer (6-8 cm long), corolla limb narrower (scarcely more than 3.5 cm across), calyx tube tube parted less than 1/3, and flower buds are broadest towards top with short mucro.

--

 .