Aponogeton satarensis and others on rocky plateaus

Aparna Watve

Sep 21, 2010, 11:12:00 PM9/21/10
to ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com, Thosre
Even this year there are many Aponogeton satarensis but flowering cannot be seen- hence it is difficult to locate.
According to some the flowering occurred early this time and it is over now.
I have been observing the Kas population since 2001- the flowering is normally at peak in heavy monsoon- July-August. But some persists in September and we should also see fruiting at this time. I did not see fruiting specimens- but I am going to Kas again to check it.

However, I have strong doubts that increased movement, is causing disturbance to this species and other species as well.

I have just completed IUCN threat assessment of this species and it is Critically Endangered- it is seen at very few locations only on lateritic rocky plateaus at high altitudes of Satara, Sangli, Kolhapur dt of Maharashtra. IT IS RARER THAN THE TIGER and has no special protection even now. I request all nature lovers and photographers (especially) to understand the importance of leaving it alone and undisturbed. This is the short growing period of the plant and it has to sustain throughout the year on the food it stores and the seeds it produced assure future generations. Disturbing it (or any other plants on the rocky plateaus- like Ceropegia jainii) is like disturbing tiger during mating- it affects present and future generations. Our movement near it, will destroy the soil seed bank, affect the pollinators of this species and will affect the micro-world of plateau plants in many unimaginable ways.

Hence, I request all to understand and sensitize others to leave the plants and animals on rocky plateaus alone during the growing season. Unfortunately there is no serious formal protection like a "national park" at this time, but I am hoping there will be soonest.

For all those who would like to have a photograph of the plant (or any other on the rocky plateaus)- I will personally send my own pictures of the area- taken between 2003-2006 during my study on plant communities on rocky areas (provided you give me some time as all of them are slides and not digital). It was a time when pressure from tourists and especially photographers was minimal and flora as well as associated fauna were in natural state.

With regards
Aparna

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 8:17 AM, ushaprabha page <ushapra...@gmail.com> wrote:
I  could locate only one speciman of  Aponogeton satarensis  at Kas Pathar
on last  Sat, -18th sept.
Last year they were many.

--
Dr. Aparna Watve
Dr. Aparna Watve

ushaprabha page

Sep 22, 2010, 12:17:51 AM9/22/10
to Aparna Watve, indian...@googlegroups.com, Thosre
Its high time that  Kas pathar flora is protected.
Thanks for the information and agreeing with the  concern for the endangered flora.
Are u aware of any collective efforts in this direction?

Aparna Watve

Sep 22, 2010, 1:21:08 AM9/22/10
to ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com, Thosre, Neema Pathak
I believe there are many individuals and organizations from Pune, Satara, Kolhapur, Sangli interested in the welfare of Kas and doing serious efforts of protection.
My concern is for the welfare of ALL rocky plateaus of Western Ghats- Konkan- Malabar region which are threatened by mining, quarrying, habitat changes, nuclear and thermal power plants, insensitive and exploitative tourism, windmill farms and many other minor but not less destructive activities. I am in the process of  finalizing a paper regarding rocky plateaus of the region and identification of ecologically sensitive areas for the Western Ghats committee.
I feel strongly that the best agency to deal with the conservation issues of this habitat is the Forest Department. The department can take a leading role by implementing the laws about protected areas (as many of these are already reserved forests e.g. Kas or within sanctuaries), community conserved areas and take help of the local agencies to monitor and protect and sensitize others. Although some amount of tourism is possible and required for awareness generation, it needs to be rigourously controlled as the big mammal tourism ( tiger in Madhya Pradesh) and planned scientifically after the study of carrying capacity. It needs to involve the local community which can truly benefit economically by the low-intensity tourism.
As for the plant watchers, I request them to look at the scrub areas of the western ghats and Konkan, which also burst into flower at the monsoon end. The vegetation of scrub areas (ex. around, Mulshi, Mawal, Bhimashankar) is much more resilient to disturbance. It does not have highly sensitive and rare species of the rocky plateaus and hence controlled tourism will not be a major threat in near future.
Regards
Aparna