Which Bramha-Kamal?

Pankaj Oudhia

Aug 3, 2010, 1:52:41 AM8/3/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Group Members,

  I received these pictures from local newspaper claiming it as true Himalayan Bramha-Kamal. I have doubt. It looks like Cactus. Please confirm it.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia
bk4.jpeg
bk1.jpeg
bk2.jpeg
bk3.jpeg

Rashida Atthar

Aug 3, 2010, 1:57:03 AM8/3/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Dr. Oudhia ji,

This is the one generally seen in home gardens. The true one is the greenish one more like a cabbage seen in the valley of flowers and Hemkund slopes.

regards,
Rashida.

mani nair

Aug 3, 2010, 2:13:47 AM8/3/10
to Rashida Atthar, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
I have seen this flower in my neighbourhood, but it is not the true Brahmakamal.  It flowers during the monsoon.  It is a type of cactus.   The flower opens  during night and by day it closes. The fragrance of this flower is very intoxicating.   There is one saying that the plant is very difficult to flower and the house where it flowers is very lucky.

Regards,

Mani.

Pankaj Oudhia

Aug 3, 2010, 2:16:30 AM8/3/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks Rashida ji and Mani ji. Is it Epiphyllum species?

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Dinesh Valke

Aug 3, 2010, 2:27:51 AM8/3/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Yes Panka ji ... Epiphyllum oxypetalum.
At my photostream ... http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Epiphyllumoxypetalum&w=91314344%40N00&m=tags

Regards.

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 3, 2010, 2:30:05 AM8/3/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
This is what the real Brahma Kamal looks like. Pic was taken at 4300m
near Hemkunt Sahib. One pic shows Hemkunt sahib on the back side and
the famous Gudwara too.
Hope you will like it and hope Dr. Gurcharan will like the religious place.

In hindu mythology its said that offering 1 brahma kamal is equivalent
to offering 1000 roses to god!

Name: Saussurea obvallata (DC.) Edgew.
Family: Asteraceae

Regards
Pankaj

Slide101.JPG
Slide102.JPG
Slide103.JPG

mani nair

Aug 3, 2010, 2:48:10 AM8/3/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Pankaj ji, Excellent photos.
Regards,
Mani.

Pankaj Oudhia

Aug 3, 2010, 2:48:30 AM8/3/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks all. I have sent reply to the newspaper and requested them to acknowledge efloraindia while publishing this news. I was informed that someone was planning to sell this plant in the name of true Bramha Kamal at very high price. Now the truth will come in front of common people. Thanks again.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Rashida Atthar

Aug 3, 2010, 2:56:37 AM8/3/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Dr.Oudhia ji,

Here's one scanned image of Saussurea obvallata taken on the way to Hemkunt sahib with  a non-digiital camera few years back - shows the Brahma kamal standing up in the middle surrounded by Himalayan poppies and other flowers. There may be more pics in our database. This is an endangered species too because many people pluck this out and take it with them, not just for themselves but also for their relatives!!. Hope the supply remains infinite.

regards,
Rashida.

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Pankaj Kumar <sahani...@gmail.com> wrote:
Brahma kamal & H.blue poppies.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 3, 2010, 3:04:24 AM8/3/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Brahama-kamal is Saussure obvallata (DC.) Edgew,, a high altitude plant  of Himalayas not found at altitudes below 3500m. The confusion is genuine as you see from the following links (the same blog shows true Saussurea obvallata and flowers with numerous stamens (obviously Epiphyllum oxypetalum). I hope newspaper reporter got carried away by mixture of photographs on the internet:

Here is the true opened flower head of Saussurea obvallata

Pankaj ji, you may be right, it could be Epiphyllum oxypetalum

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 3, 2010, 3:09:12 AM8/3/10
to Rashida Atthar, Pankaj Kumar, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
What an interest generation? while I was typing my mail, checking links and details, 5 mails came in. Fortunately we solved the myth too soon and independently.

Thanks Pankaj Kmar ji for your first hand photographs from Hemkunt sahib. I have never seen the plant myself, only the photographs in books.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Aug 3, 2010, 3:46:09 AM8/3/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks a lot Dr. Gurcharan for the appreciation.
The plant is not just isolated to Hemkunt sahib are, but it is
widespread on higher altitudes from 4000m and above, but now a days it
has become rare due to its intensive use during offerings in the puja
at various temples on higher elevations. From Badrinath, its almost
wiped off, but they are available at distance places in the area.
Regards
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 3, 2010, 3:58:40 AM8/3/10
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thanks for information, Pankaj ji

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Tabish

Aug 3, 2010, 4:28:36 AM8/3/10
to efloraofindia
Subhan-allah Pankaj Miyaa!
Kya tasveere hain! :-)
- Tabish
>  Slide101.JPG
> 328KViewDownload
>
>  Slide102.JPG
> 190KViewDownload
>
>  Slide103.JPG
> 154KViewDownload

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 3, 2010, 4:33:58 AM8/3/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
hehehehe, thats a restricted area. common people are not supposed to
walk towards the otherside of the lake. But we went as a part of
Forest Department.
The smell is the most important thing which makes the plant so
important. It is HIGHLY FRAGRANT!!!! even the leaves....
Regards
Pankaj

Narendra Joshi

Aug 3, 2010, 5:06:53 AM8/3/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, Indiantrees
These gorgeous flowers are the varieties of cactus most of these belong to Epiphyllum or commonly known as Orchid Cactus. This is not at all Brahma Kamal. In Maharashtra also many people think this as Brahmakamal as it flowers at midnight.

With Regards,

Narendra Joshi

Geeta Rane

Aug 3, 2010, 5:23:33 AM8/3/10
to efloraofindia, tab...@gmail.com, sing...@gmail.com, sahani...@gmail.com, atthar....@gmail.com, pankaj...@gmail.com, Dinesh Valke, mani....@gmail.com
Greetings,
the original post is on Epiphyllum oxypetalum (orchid cactus:flowersofindia) as It is also referred to as Night blooming Cereus & to me is the right term should be, I had photographed them from bud-life till they bloomed in12 in the midnight and then at 6 in the morning, but failed to share them. This year;Becasue of negligence we have to trimmed off the leaves/cactus.

Believe me the (blind?) belief of  blooming of Epiphyllum oxypetalum  in once in seven years  is so much in common people that i have seen in my colony that ; high designated citizens have invited their friends, relatives for pooja of this  Epiphyllum oxypetalum (orchid cactus) / the Night blooming Cereus.
Thanks goes to these online help and groups like efloraofindia,gardentia, flowersofindia; who forces us to confirm the information available before fixing up in our mind.
Sorry for this long note,
Regards,
geeta rane
PS: FYI: In whole of VOF program; Mr Pankaj Kumarji's (photo of) Brahama-kamal -Saussure obvallata (DC.) Edgew,, a high altitude plant  of Himalayas is one of the attraction for the visitors/trekkers appealed by organisers,thanks geeta.

tanay bose

Aug 5, 2010, 2:45:41 AM8/5/10
to Geeta Rane, efloraofindia, tab...@gmail.com, sing...@gmail.com, sahani...@gmail.com, atthar....@gmail.com, pankaj...@gmail.com, Dinesh Valke, mani....@gmail.com
tnka to all for the pgotos and nice threads and links
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)