chironji tree in flower in Bandhavgarh Ntl Park

kaysat tiwari

Feb 21, 2008, 8:48:54 PM2/21/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,
At present this tree is in flower here.
Its fruits are small green turn violet blue when ripe. Seed cover hard. Seed used as dry fruit called chironji.
Satyendra

--
Satyendra K.Tiwari.
Wildlife Photographer, Naturalist, Tour Leader

J.M. Garg

Feb 21, 2008, 10:02:33 PM2/21/08
to kaysat tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Tiwari ji for posting this new tree.
Also called Chironji or Char (Buchanania lanzan, family : Anacardiaceae), here is very good inf. in the Research Note by Sh Pankaj Oudhia, one of our members at link: http://www.botanical.com/site/column_poudhia/164_char.html. I will recommend it for interesting reading for state of this tree & its linkages with the people in Chhattisgarh & its medicinal uses.
In the link below from Betul forest circle, one can see the pictures of the try as well as green & ripe fruit: http://images.google.co.in/imgres?imgurl=http://www.betulforestcircle.org/images/mahua_flower_large.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.betulforestcircle.org/achar.asp&h=450&w=600&sz=69&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=C_5iBVb6u0OFQM:&tbnh=101&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3DBuchanania%2Blanzan%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Lanscape pictures etc., visit  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

pankaj...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2008, 3:31:10 PM3/24/08
to indiantreepix
Garg ji and Tiwari ji,

Here are links to over 80 recent research articles on Chironji.

http://ecoport.org/ep?Plant=3956&entityType=PL****&entityDisplayCategory=eArticles

and 45 pictures

http://ecoport.org/ep?Plant=3956&entityType=PL****&entityDisplayCategory=Photographs

regards