Is it Bidaria khandalens?

Satish Phadke

Jun 9, 2010, 11:19:39 AM6/9/10
to indiantreepix
This Asclepiadaceae member a climber was observed in Amboli.
The leaves appear much longer 8cm or so.
I think this is Bidaria khandalense
Please opine or otherwise.
Regards
Dr Phadke
IMG_9409s.jpg

tanay bose

Jun 9, 2010, 11:24:13 AM6/9/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Bidaria khandalense (Santapau) Jagtap et Singh is an endemic to the region hence can be a good choice
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

Neil Soares

Jun 9, 2010, 1:08:05 PM6/9/10
to indiantreepix, Satish Phadke
Hi Dr.Phadke,
   It could be Gymnema sylvestre locally called Madhunashini. Please check.
                   Regards,
                     Neil Soares.

J.M. Garg

Jul 5, 2010, 1:43:36 AM7/5/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Neil Soares, tanay bose, satish pardeshi, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Prashant awale, Rashida Atthar
Dear Neil
Yes. It is Gymnema sylvestre only. Nice photo Mr. Satish.

Regards
Senthilkumar U.
Senthilkumar U.
BSI & School of Ecology and Conservation,
University of Agricultural Sciences,
Bangalore-560 065.
Karnataka, India

Aparna Watve

Jul 5, 2010, 2:01:30 AM7/5/10
to Senthilkumar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Neil Soares, satish pardeshi, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Prashant awale, Rashida Atthar
Bidaria khandalense (= Gymnema khandalense) is a liane and the most
characteristic feature of this is presence of "flat corky wings on the
stem" which are long running along stems. Very few plants have such a
striking character and it is difficult to miss.

Mishra and Singh (2001) who worked on threatened plants of Maharashtra
report that it can be distinguished by broadly ovate and densely
puberulous leaves, orbicular calyx lobes and corolla puberulous on
both sides. However, I have seen both the plants and wild and do not
feel this character is strong enough to distinguish them. The winged
stem character is probably the best one and is very very obvious when
mature individuals are seen.

I do not see any specific distinguishing character in the photo by Dr.
Phadke. If you have any more photos, showing any of the distinguishing
characters we can discuss more on this. I am not aware of B.
khandalense reports in Amboli, but it certainly is present in
Khandala, Junnar, Karjat and Koyna forest areas.

However, the chances of the photo belonging to Gymnema sylvestre are
high as it is a much more common and variable plant.

Regards
Aparna

--
Dr. Aparna Watve
Dr. Aparna Watve

Satish Phadke

Jul 5, 2010, 2:24:14 AM7/5/10
to Aparna Watve, Senthilkumar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Neil Soares, satish pardeshi, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Prashant awale, Rashida Atthar
Thanks for the elaborate reply.
I was concentrating on the leaf character so the ID came to my mind.
The chances of Gymnema sylvestre appear to be high. The other picture which I have posted from the  same area had diifferent leaves so I concluded the likely ID in that species but here I was confused due to the leaf shape.
Dr Phadke