Pls help to identify tree

YvonneHealing

Apr 13, 2011, 3:57:44 AM4/13/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Group Members

I am attaching 5 pictures of two trees we have here in West-Bengal - one seems
a bit younger than the other, but they look the same.

I noticed they shed their leaves once a year and go almost completely bare before getting
new green leaves.  They make some type of small white flower which is really no more than just a white petal that's rolled up - you can see the beginnings of one emerging in the photos.  Their leaves I think can be classified as heart-shaped, and are about 4 inches across and 7 or 8 inches long on average.  They look a lot like rubber tree leaves but these are not so dark.
Plus they have some branches hanging down as you will see on the tree trunk picture.

Please can anyone help me with the name of this type of tree in English and also in Indian languages?

Thank you!
Yvonne

TREE.JPG
TREE 2.JPG
TREE 3.JPG
Leaves 2.JPG
Stem.JPG

Rakesh Biswas

Apr 13, 2011, 4:15:00 AM4/13/11
to YvonneHealing, indian...@googlegroups.com
I am an amateur but to me this looks like "Ficus Religiosa" also called Aswattha in Bengali or Peepul in Hindi.

However i would wait for the experts to confirm.

:-)

Rakesh Biswas

Apr 13, 2011, 4:16:46 AM4/13/11
to YvonneHealing, indian...@googlegroups.com
Although there seems to be two or more trees in some of the pictures but the 'leaf' close up makes me stick with the previous diagnosis although i may be wrong.

rakesh

Ila

Apr 13, 2011, 4:20:47 AM4/13/11
to efloraofindia
Thank you Rakesh! I looked at some Peepul trees on the internet, but
see that they
have a pointy protruding end on their leaves which these trees do
not. I also looked at
rubber trees, but these trees definitely have lighter coloured leaves
and much smaller flowers,
and I have not seen any round seeds on them as they show on the rubber
trees.

Yvonne

On Apr 13, 1:15 pm, Rakesh Biswas <rakesh7bis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am an amateur but to me this looks like "Ficus Religiosa" also called
> Aswattha in Bengali or Peepul in Hindi.
>
> However i would wait for the experts to confirm.
>
> :-)

Rakesh Biswas

Apr 13, 2011, 4:44:25 AM4/13/11
to YvonneHealing, indiantreepix
I agree. These leaves are definitely very different from that of what i mentioned.

Would be great to learn about it further from the other group members.

:-)

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 2:08 PM, YvonneHealing <yvonne....@yahoo.com> wrote:
Dear Rakesh

Thank you for the help.  I am attaching two more pictures of the leaves here -
you will see the shape is different and there is no pointy ending like on the Peepul trees.

Do you think they could just be very young rubber trees?

Thank you
Yvonne

Apr 13, 2011, 4:26:04 AM4/13/11
to efloraofindia
Thank you Rakesh

The only thing is the Peepul tree pics that I have found on the
internet
all have this pointy leaf ending, which these trees do not have.
Unfortunately I do not
have a picture of the whole leaf, but they do not have pointy long
endings.

Yvonne

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 13, 2011, 6:26:01 AM4/13/11
to Ila, efloraofindia
Dear Yvonne
For identification purposes we should have twig with full view of leaves and also fruits if possible. In your photographs only half of the leaves is visible. In distant shots shape of leaves can't be clearly made out. Please send some close ups of leaves and fruits if possible.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Mahadeswara

Apr 13, 2011, 9:13:54 AM4/13/11
to efloraofindia
This is not Ficus religiosa ( aswatha ) for sure. Better picture of
the foliage would help identification of this Ficus species.

On Apr 13, 1:44 pm, Rakesh Biswas <rakesh7bis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree. These leaves are definitely very different from that of what i
> mentioned.
>
> Would be great to learn about it further from the other group members.
>
> :-)
>
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 2:08 PM, YvonneHealing <yvonne.heal...@yahoo.com>wrote:
>
> > Dear Rakesh
>
> > Thank you for the help.  I am attaching two more pictures of the leaves
> > here -
> > you will see the shape is different and there is no pointy ending like on
> > the Peepul trees.
>
> > Do you think they could just be very young rubber trees?
>
> > Thank you
> > Yvonne

Ushadi micromini

Apr 14, 2011, 2:14:47 AM4/14/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Yvonne: I agree with Dr Singh, and what others have said about
photographing the leaves in better profile and en face ....

But in the meantime: whatever its worth... I can faintly make out the
leaves in your picture number 3, it reminds me of Pakur tree or Ficus
lacor...
Quite common in west bengal, vaguely reminds on of ficus religiosa,
but its not....

There is a famous Pakur tree in Dakshineswar...under which Thakur
Ramkrishna used to sit and meditate, and story goes that that's where
he first got enlightened... I do not know how true that is...

Your trees seem to be in some school or NGO yard for children...where
is it?
Thanks for your reply in advance.
Usha Desai MD (aka Usha di)

=======

Neo

Apr 15, 2011, 11:31:50 PM4/15/11
to efloraofindia
It looks like a fig tree,but not ficus religiosa. Perhaps it is ficus
benghalensis

On Apr 13, 12:57 pm, YvonneHealing <yvonne.heal...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear Group Members
> I am attaching 5 pictures of two trees we have here in West-Bengal - one seemsa bit younger than the other, but they look the same.
> I noticed they shed their leaves once a year and go almost completely bare before gettingnew green leaves.  They make some type of small white flower which is really no more than just a white petal that's rolled up - you can see the beginnings of one emerging in the photos.  Their leaves I think can be classified as heart-shaped, and are about 4 inches across and 7 or 8 inches long on average.  They look a lot like rubber tree leaves but these are not so dark.Plus they have some branches hanging down as you will see on the tree trunk picture.
> Please can anyone help me with the name of this type of tree in English and also in Indian languages?
> Thank you!Yvonne
>
>  TREE.JPG
> 259KViewDownload
>
>  TREE 2.JPG
> 262KViewDownload
>
>  TREE 3.JPG
> 274KViewDownload
>
>  Leaves 2.JPG
> 190KViewDownload
>
>  Stem.JPG
> 240KViewDownload

deshmukh

Apr 16, 2011, 1:52:49 AM4/16/11
to efloraofindia
It is Ficus bengalensis.Wad in Marathi.
Thanks,
Suchits Deshmukh
> > 240KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -

Smita Raskar

Apr 16, 2011, 2:26:43 AM4/16/11
to deshmukh, efloraofindia
On the basis of leaves and stem one can say it is like Ficus benghalensis
but still i have doubt bcoz this big plant of Ficus benghalensis should have aerial roots too right?
--
Smita raskar
308 Disha Residency,