tree for ID

dhaivat hathi

Nov 22, 2008, 1:49:44 PM11/22/08
to indiantreepix, vkmu...@gmail.com, rajdeep jhala, Vipul Ramanuj, Jaidev Dhadhal, BCSG Dr. Nishith Dharaiya, rajesh shah, Ashok Mashru
Dear All,

would request to plz help for the ID..

seen this medium sized, ever green tree in Rajkot  - Gujarat, Also planted at Gondal town and nearby villages on roadsides..

May belong to Ficus genus as all the characteristics match.

attaching herewith pics with fruits, leaves type and supporting roots.

--
Have a nice time,
Regards,

"Monitor alone uses more than half of computer's total power. I choose to switch off the monitor everytime I take a break."

Save a tree - please do not print this email unless you really need to.

shashtri1.jpg
shashtri2.jpg
shashtri3.jpg
shashtri4.jpg

Kenneth Greby

Nov 22, 2008, 2:04:34 PM11/22/08
to indiantreepix, dhaivat hathi, vkmu...@gmail.com, rajdeep jhala, Vipul Ramanuj, Jaidev Dhadhal, BCSG Dr. Nishith Dharaiya, rajesh shah, Ashok Mashru
Greetings--

Decidedly a Ficus species, similar to F. microcarpa, but I'm not certain of the species.

Regards--

Ken Greby
Palmetto Bay, Florida USA

J.M. Garg

Nov 22, 2008, 9:21:14 PM11/22/08
to fst...@yahoo.com, indiantreepix, dhaivat hathi, vkmu...@gmail.com, rajdeep jhala, Vipul Ramanuj, Jaidev Dhadhal, BCSG Dr. Nishith Dharaiya, rajesh shah, Ashok Mashru
I also feel this to be like Ficus microcarpa, though I have  a little doubt about the colour of the fruit shown in the picture- ripe fruit are mentioned to be yellow- brown in "Trees of Delhi". But see the picture at:http://www.public.asu.edu/~camartin/plants/Plant%20html%20files/Ficus%20microcarpa%20nitida%20fruit.jpg

Kenneth Greby

Nov 22, 2008, 9:40:43 PM11/22/08
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, dhaivat hathi, vkmu...@gmail.com, rajdeep jhala, Vipul Ramanuj, Jaidev Dhadhal, BCSG Dr. Nishith Dharaiya, rajesh shah, Ashok Mashru
Greetings--

 The Ficus microcarpa here in Florida (USA) do indeed develop purplish fruit.

 The tree pictured may indeed be F. microcarpa. The foliage looked a little dusty and dull--perhaps from road dust? It may also be another species (there are several hundred) that I am not yet familiar with.

Regards--
Ken Greby
Palmetto Bay, Florida USA

Yazdy Palia

Nov 23, 2008, 12:26:29 AM11/23/08
to dhaivat hathi, indiantreepix, vkmu...@gmail.com, rajdeep jhala, Vipul Ramanuj, Jaidev Dhadhal, BCSG Dr. Nishith Dharaiya, rajesh shah, Ashok Mashru
Hi friends,
The leaves and the fruit also look like allspice. I am not sure though.
Regards
Yazdy Palia.

J.M. Garg

Nov 23, 2008, 3:00:39 AM11/23/08
to Yazdy Palia, dhaivat hathi, indiantreepix, vkmu...@gmail.com, rajdeep jhala, Vipul Ramanuj, Jaidev Dhadhal, BCSG Dr. Nishith Dharaiya, rajesh shah, Ashok Mashru
No, it's not Pimenta dioica (Allspice), see fruit pictures of it at the links: http://www.dirtdoctor.com/pics/content_img.2723.img.jpg & http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZHvc-AZPL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Nov 23, 2008, 3:05:49 AM11/23/08
to Yazdy Palia, dhaivat hathi, indiantreepix, vkmu...@gmail.com, rajdeep jhala, Vipul Ramanuj, Jaidev Dhadhal, BCSG Dr. Nishith Dharaiya, rajesh shah, Ashok Mashru
Here is another reply in another mail:
"this looks like a 'karwanda'
vivek gharpure
aurangabad"

I don't think it's Carissa congesta (Karanda).

dhaivat hathi

Nov 23, 2008, 5:17:30 AM11/23/08
to J.M. Garg, fst...@yahoo.com, indiantreepix, vkmu...@gmail.com, rajdeep jhala, Vipul Ramanuj, Jaidev Dhadhal, BCSG Dr. Nishith Dharaiya, rajesh shah, Ashok Mashru
hello sir,

even we have a doubt because of the type of the leaves in this tree. Ficus microcarpa is having pointed leaves and this plant has round leaves.

even the trunk sizes here in many of the trees here is like a big adult tree..

Dhaivat.

J.M. Garg

Nov 23, 2008, 8:23:23 AM11/23/08
to dhaivat hathi, fst...@yahoo.com, indiantreepix, vkmu...@gmail.com, rajdeep jhala, Vipul Ramanuj, Jaidev Dhadhal, BCSG Dr. Nishith Dharaiya, rajesh shah, Ashok Mashru
Hi, Dhaivat ji,
I think leaves & trunk is OK.  As per "trees of Delhi", it's a large tree with leaves about 8 cm. long, glossy, oval, blunt, thick, leaf buds small, about 1 cm. long.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg
"We often ignore the beauty around us"

Neil Soares

Nov 23, 2008, 10:15:32 AM11/23/08
to dhaivat hathi, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dhaivat,
   It could be Ficus benjamina var. nuda. [F.microcarpa usually has only a few aerial roots].
                     With regards,
                        Neil Soares.

J.M. Garg

Nov 23, 2008, 10:45:25 AM11/23/08
to drneil...@yahoo.com, dhaivat hathi, indian...@googlegroups.com
From the discussions above, I will go for Ficus microcarpa.
'Trees of Delhi' states it to be confusing with Ficus benjamina. It states Ficus benjamina leaf ends in a short but promonent, pointy apex; it has few or no aerial roots; its figs are larger & bright yellow or orange-red.
It states Ficus microcarpa leaves have a round or bluntly pointed apex; it has arial roots that do not hang down; and its tiny figs are yellowish brown.
I had confusion regarding fruit colour, which Kenneth ji clarified.

Kenneth Greby

Nov 23, 2008, 11:04:48 AM11/23/08
to drneil...@yahoo.com, J.M. Garg, dhaivat hathi, indian...@googlegroups.com
Greetings all--

 I would agree that the purplish fruit is more indicative of F. microcarpa than of F. benjamina (and its variety F. b. nuda and cv 'Exotica'). The fruit of F. benjamina and forms is typically yellow to orange-red and rather dry, at least in the USA.

 The presence of aerial roots here seems to be more of a function of local humidity than anything. In Florida, both species develop copious aerial roots. In California, where it is much drier, neither species develops aerial roots, except for a few trees along the immediate coast.

 F. microcarpa in South Florida is an aggressive pest tree, typically starting as an epiphyte in palms and on walls, where birds typically roost and spread seeds.

Regards--
Ken Greby
Palmetto Bay, Florida USA

Yazdy Palia

Nov 23, 2008, 2:21:54 PM11/23/08
to J.M. Garg, dhaivat hathi, indiantreepix, vkmu...@gmail.com, rajdeep jhala, Vipul Ramanuj, Jaidev Dhadhal, BCSG Dr. Nishith Dharaiya, rajesh shah, Ashok Mashru
Dear Mr. J. M. Garg Ji,
Thank you so much for correcting me. The leaves shown in the picture
is different and so are the fruits. I have a Pimenta dioica plant at
my place and the leaves are very much like the one Dhaivat Hathi ji.
I am a novice.
Regards
Yazdy Palia.