13082011-BS-011- A shrub for ID from A Nursery in Panipat Haryana

Balkar Arya

Aug 13, 2011, 1:08:44 AM8/13/11
to indiantreepix
Dear All
A shrub about 5-6 ft high, highly branched for id
From Panipat Haryana Alt. 220 mt. Pics taken on 11-8-11
Cultivated for its tuberous roots which are used as vegetables. Propagated by tubers
Simple leaves about 4-5 inches long.
Flowers not there at this moment. As per nurserymen flowering will be in October November.
this plant not generally found in Haryana

Thanks

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964
IMG_6580Sm.JPG
IMG_6581Sm.JPG
IMG_6582Sm.JPG

Vijayasankar

Aug 13, 2011, 1:50:35 AM8/13/11
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Helianthus tuberosus. Nice pictures...

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Balkar Arya

Aug 13, 2011, 1:55:01 AM8/13/11
to Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
Thanks a lot Vijayasankar Ji. This plant was disturbing me from last 4-5 months. Ultimately u solved the mystery. If u have pics of its flowers pls share

Vijayasankar

Aug 13, 2011, 2:00:16 AM8/13/11
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Thanks Balkar ji, for the opportunity.
Wiki has nice pictures of flowers. please check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_artichoke

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Balkar Arya

Aug 13, 2011, 2:08:30 AM8/13/11
to Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
Thanks for the link Vijayasankar Ji

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Aug 13, 2011, 2:29:35 AM8/13/11
to efloraofindia
May I know Vijay, how you identified it?
I had no clues!!
Pankaj