130209 GI Is this Ipomea or Argeyria

Padmanabhan Geetha

Feb 12, 2009, 8:51:41 PM2/12/09
to indiantreepix Indian
Dear Friends
Photographed at the campus of Isha yoga centre, foothills of Velliangiri Hills, Coimbatore this month.Growing wild.Request id. It has palmately compound leaves.Flowers deeply violet

I has posted this question earlier? Is there an easy way of distinguishing Ipomea from Argeyria?

Thanks and best wishes
geetha
Ipomea violet coloured.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Feb 12, 2009, 11:55:54 PM2/12/09
to Padmanabhan Geetha, indiantreepix Indian
... this looks to me the most common morning glory Ipomoea cairica, commonly known as railway creeper or ivy-leaved morning glory and lesser known names are: Cairo morning glory, messina creeper.

Your query: Is there an easy way of distinguishing Ipomea from Argeyria?
My own perception: Argeyrias have stouter base, shorter throats, thicker (hairy) sepals ... all this that I have observed in one species A. nervosa !! .. so may not hold true for all Argyreias
For laymen like me, a funny (and practical point of view) is that we must be fortunate enough of getting to see as many species regularly.

Regards.

Padmanabhan Geetha

Feb 13, 2009, 12:14:40 AM2/13/09
to Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix Indian
Thank you Dinesh ji.

Copying another response i received:

kaysat tiwari
<kays...@gmail.com>

commonly known as railway creeper only because at one time it was seen growing on most of the railway stations easy to grow from cuttings.  I.palmata

So this railway creeper - is it I palmata or I cairica ?

Thank you, yes, the only way of getting to be clear is by seeing more and more of these species.
thank you
geetha

Dinesh Valke

Feb 13, 2009, 12:20:10 AM2/13/09
to Padmanabhan Geetha, indiantreepix Indian
... NPGS / GRIN at http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?20201 states I. palmata as synonym of I. cairica.