caper

kaysat tiwari

Mar 24, 2008, 5:44:01 AM3/24/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,
photographed this caper flower yesterday in bandhavgarh. Few trees of this are in full bloom.
satyendra

--
Satyendra K.Tiwari.
Wildlife Photographer, Naturalist, Tour Leader

J.M. Garg

Mar 25, 2008, 4:14:52 AM3/25/08
to kaysat tiwari, indian...@googlegroups.com
Is it not of Crateva adansonii (Invalid Syn. C. nurvala, C.religiosa, C. magma) i.e. Barna , Sacred Barna, Garlic pear, Bengal Quince, Bila, Bilasi, Narnohi or Temple Plant ?

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Lanscape pictures etc., visit  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Mar 25, 2008, 6:12:18 AM3/25/08
to indiantreepix
forwarding pl.

Mar 26, 2008, 3:52:18 AM3/26/08
to indiantreepix
I also saw it flowering Kadi Patta (Murraya koenigii syn. Bergera Koenigii) on 13/3/08 in Kolkata & on 16/3/08 in Duars, West Bengal.

The Curry Tree or Curry-leaf Tree (Murraya koenigii; syn. Bergera koenigii, Chalcas koenigii) is a tropical to sub-tropical tree in the family Rutaceae, which is native to India. It is a small tree, growing 4-6 m tall, with a trunk up to 40 cm diameter. The leaves are pinnate, with 11-21 leaflets, each leaflet 2-4 cm long and 1-2 cm broad. The flowers are small white, and fragrant. The small black, shiny berries are edible, but their seeds are poisonous.

The species name commemorates the botanist Johann Gerhard Koenig.

Uses

Its leaves are highly aromatic and are used as an herb. Their form is small and narrow and they somewhat resemble the leaves of the Neem tree; therefore they are also referred to as Kari Baavu (translated to Black Neem) in the Kannada language and Karivepaku in Telugu, again translating to the same meaning. In Tamil and Malayalam it is known as Karuveppilai, ilai meaning leaves and veppilai meaning Neem leaf. Other names include Kari Patta (Hindi), Kadhi Limb (Marathi), Limda(Gujarati) and Karapincha (Sinhalese).

They are commonly used as seasoning in Indian and Sri Lankan cooking, much like bay leaves and especially in curries with fish or coconut milk. In their fresh form, they have a short shelf life though they may be stored in a freezer for quite some time. They are also available dried, though the aroma is inferior.

Various biological activities of Murraya koenigii include antidiabetic [2], antioxidant [3], antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, hepatoprotective, anti-hypercholesterolemic etc.,

The above inf. taken from Wikipedia link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry_Tree

Mar 26, 2008, 5:02:55 AM3/26/08
to indiantreepix
Kadi Patta ((Murraya koenigii syn. Bergera Koenigii) flowering in my house (JVPD Scheme, Mumbai)

-Tejal

central to the ethics of human culture." - Mahatma Gandhi

J.M. Garg

Mar 26, 2008, 5:13:55 AM3/26/08
to Tejal Dhulla Vishweshwar, indiantreepix
Lovely close-up of flowers at the link. Here is a picture I clicked on 16/3/08 in Duars, West Bengal.
Kadi Patta (Murraya koenigii) flowers & leaves at Jayanti, Duars I Picture 167.jpg