[efloraofindia:33985] 050510GS1 tree from Delhi for ID

Gurcharan Singh

May 4, 2010, 10:39:11 PM5/4/10
to efloraofindia
050510GS1 tree from Delhi for ID, another tree from Delhi University which got mixed up in my collection.

Date/Time-

March 3, 2009, 11 am

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-

Delhi University campus, Delhi, 213 m asl

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

Planted in Garden

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-

Tree

Height/Length-

up to 5 m tall

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

Simple, ovate, shining, up to 12 cm long

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Not seen

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

Not seen

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

Probably smara

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Tree-c-Delhi-1.jpg
Tree-c-du-Delhi-2.jpg

R. Vijayasankar

May 4, 2010, 11:10:31 PM5/4/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
If it is a liana, it can be Hiptage benghalensis, known as Madhavi Latha (the old bot.name H. madablota derived from this) in Sanskrit.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

Gurcharan Singh

May 4, 2010, 11:26:54 PM5/4/10
to R. Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Vijayasankar ji
I have completely forgotten about this plants, exact place in DU. Let us hope I am lucky to relocate it.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

May 5, 2010, 12:15:51 AM5/5/10
to Gurcharan Singh, R. Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Hiptage benghalensis indeed !!
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Satish Chile

May 5, 2010, 3:23:24 AM5/5/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, R. Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Hiptage benghalensis after a long time I have seen this liana. Thank you Gurcharan ji.
Satish
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

Gurcharan Singh

May 5, 2010, 3:53:50 AM5/5/10
to Satish Chile, tanay bose, R. Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Thanks friends for identification and correction. I had taken and forgotten about this plant, as I could not identify it then. Thank my luck that I did not associate this with the photographs of tree which was finally identified today with Pterygota alata, although I vaguely connected it with that tree. I will now be on look out for this liana.