DV - 29MAY10 - 0436 :: trumpet flower

Dinesh Valke

Jun 6, 2010, 5:11:17 AM6/6/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
ID please.
This plant is growing among Ipomoea carnea along a nallah (waste-water flow).

Date/Time
: May 29, 2010 at 4.36pm IST
Location Place : Rajguru Nagar, Pune

Altitude : 587 m (above mean sea level)
GPS : 18°49'2.43"N, 73°54'30.68"E

Habitat : urban (wild)
Type : growing along nallah (waste-water flow)

Plant
Habit
: tender shrub
Height : 6 - 8 ft
Length : - not a climber -

Leaves
Type
: simple with margin entire, oppositely arranged, decusate, looks to have leathery texture.
Shape : elliptic, tapering towards both ends
Size : about 6 - 8 cm x 3 - 4 cm

Inflorescence
Type
: raceme (please validate), arising from node
Size : about 16 -20 cm

Flowers
Size
: about 6 -8 cm long
Colour : blending from lavender at base to light mauve at lobes
Calyx : triangular lobed
Bracts : - no bracts -

Fruits
Type
: do not know
Shape : do not know
Size : do not know
Seeds : do not know

Other Info
Fragrance : do not know
Pollinator : do not know
Uses : do not know

Regards.

P1170814.jpg
P1170810.jpg
P1170812.jpg
P1170813.jpg
P1170813_cropped.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 6, 2010, 5:42:55 AM6/6/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji
There is an interesting mix up. Ipomoea carnea (correctly I. fistulosa) is surely there but not in flower. The plant in flower is definitely a climber, Cryptostegia grandiflora. See its opposite, leaves, shape of leaves and corolla.
   I am uploading both for comparison

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Cryptostegia-grandiflora-Delhi-2.jpg
Cryptostegia-grandiflora-Delhi-1.jpg
Ipomoea-fistulosa-Delhi-1.jpg
Ipomoea-fistulosa-Delhi-2.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jun 6, 2010, 6:05:18 AM6/6/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji ... many thanks for the ID.

Not clear with what is the mix-up.
Am familiar with I. carnea,
... therefore have written that the plant being queried is growing among I. carnea.

Would like to know: why is I. carnea correctly known as I. fistulosa
At NPGS / GRIN ... http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?20153
I. carnea has 2 subsp. carnea and fistulosa
and I. fistulosa is put as synonym.

Once again, many thanks for the ID, Gurcharan ji.

Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 6, 2010, 6:18:02 AM6/6/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji
Sorry for my mixup
You got the ID. I just read I. carnea and perhaps not the whole line.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Satish Phadke

Jun 6, 2010, 1:24:23 PM6/6/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Cryptostegia grandiflora from Aesclepediaceae.
At present it can be observed at various places in Pune.

Smilax004

Jun 7, 2010, 2:49:05 AM6/7/10
to efloraofindia
This is not Ipomoea-fistulosa, I guess, as the picture titles say (am
not sure about the synonym). But the last 2 pictures are Ipomoea
carnea. The first 2 pictures are Asclepiadaceae perhaps a new species
to me.

Regards
Giby

On Jun 6, 10:24 pm, Satish Phadke <drsmpha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Cryptostegia grandiflora* from Aesclepediaceae.
> At present it can be observed at various places in Pune.

> > .

Dinesh Valke

Jun 7, 2010, 3:26:15 AM6/7/10
to Smilax004, efloraofindia
Giby ji ... certainly my expression must have been confusing !!
Managed to confuse even Gurcharan ji !!!

My mentioning of I. carnea (= I. fistulosa) was intentional ... wanted you all to ignore seeing those (I. carnea) plants, and instead focus on to the single meager member (found in all the photos) for ID.

... a relook at what has been written:

This plant is growing among Ipomoea carnea along a nallah (waste-water flow).

!!!!! One thing for sure (my experience) ... the urge of identifying is so high that the eyes are keen to rush in direction of the attachments !!!!!

Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 7, 2010, 6:44:48 AM6/7/10
to Dinesh Valke, Smilax004, efloraofindia
Giby ji
I had uploaded four photographs representing the two plants growing together in Dinesh ji's photographs. One in flower in Dinesh ji's photographs is Cryptostegia grandiflora, and second with out flowers is Dinesh ji's flowers but I provided the photographs with flowers is I. carnea now correctly known as I. fistulosa. I think the things are now quite clear.