Fern for id From Panipat Near Yamuna River

Balkar Arya

Mar 27, 2010, 7:14:24 AM3/27/10
to indiantreepix
Dear All
Fern for id please
Photo Taken on 13 March 2010
Collected from- Yamuna River Bank Panipat
Size- 1-2 m; leaves 50-60 cm

Regards
Dr Balkar Singh

fern From Panipat.jpg
fern From Panipat1.jpg
fern From Panipat2.jpg

tanay bose

Mar 27, 2010, 7:33:46 AM3/27/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Dear Balkar Ji,
The fern in the attched photo is Dryopteris chrysocoma (Christ) C.Chr. from the family Dryopteridaceae. This a very common fern seen in damp places, mostly in North India. Please Validate my identification.
Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Mar 28, 2010, 1:34:17 PM3/28/10
to efloraofindia
I was a bit confused so I didnt reply earlier. I was of the notion
that Dryopteris should always have kidney shaped sori, on the basis of
which I had considered Mr. Tanay's name as incorrect. But then Dr.
Jatinder Chadha told me that its not necessary. So we both did some
home work and came to the conclusion that the above plant cant be
Dryopteris chrysocoma (Christ) C.Chr.. Infact D. chrysocoma does have
a kindey shaped sori, but during mature condition the shape may not be
clear.
Secondly, according to Jenkins (followed by Dr. S.P.Kullar), Indian
Dryopteris genus has been grouped into 2 sub genus, 1. DRYOPTERIS and
2. NEPHROCYSTIS.
D. chrysocoma belongs to subgenus Dryopteris; Section Pandae, where
the pinna margin is supposed to be deeply lobed to the costa, which is
not in the present case.

Description of D. chrysocoma also says that the indusium is reniform,
persistent and they hardly shrivel. In the present picture the
indusium seems to be missing!! and secondly the species is supposed to
be distributed from 1700m - 3300m asl so it cant be a common fern
distributed in North India.

But we cant conclude anything due to insufficient evidence.

So we hereby request members who are posting fern pictures, that
please do send the pictures of:
1. complete plant
2. one complete frond with the rhizome and stem
3. closeup of one pinna (both surface)
4. Closeup of pinnule (both surface)
5. Closeup of sori.

This will greatly help in the identification of the species correctly.

Regards
Pankaj

tanay bose

Mar 29, 2010, 12:07:44 AM3/29/10
to Dr. Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Dear Dr. Sahani ,
Over the chat in gtalk I told you that it is not necessary that Dryopteris sp will always have a reniform sori but you insisted on the matter. I also told you that I too had this idea before was proved wrong when I investigated Panchmari Reserve Forest and in Eastern Himalaya where I extensively worked on pteridophytes for nearly 1 month at each location which really turned my view for this plant group. You suggest me Ampelopteris prolifera but I told you that in Ampelopteris prolifera the leaflets are shortly petiolate (sometime regarded as sub-sessile) but in Dryopteris the base of the leaflet lay completely on the rachis (sessile) and I hope this is an universal character for this genus. I am extremely happy that my research on pteridophytes were worthy and proved me right in this occasion and many others. I am extremely thankful to you for further investigations and bringing the fact to me which proved my thought was right regarding the ID of the plant.
Regards
Tanay

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Mar 30, 2010, 10:19:52 AM3/30/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
We (Jatinder and myself) had another round of discussion over this
picture and we could conclude that this is infact Ampelopteris
prolifera.
I would really request Vijay sir to give his views on the
identification.
Regards
Pankaj

Balkar Arya

Mar 30, 2010, 10:33:13 AM3/30/10
to Dr. Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Dear Pankaj Ji
 Two days before i got two books by Prof. S P Khullar on Ferns of Western Himalayas and after going through them i am fully agree with your id A. prolifera Syn. A. elegans, A. firma, Dryopteris prolifera,Thelypteris prolifera
this is the commonest fern in Haryana (except hilly areas of Morni region) as per my surveys of Ambala, Yamunanagar, Jind, Karnal, Panipat, Sonipat, Kurukshetra and Kaithal districts particularly along distributaries arised from Yamuna River

Regards
Balkar Singh

Pankaj Kumar

Mar 30, 2010, 10:38:37 AM3/30/10
to Balkar Arya, efloraofindia
Thats a good coincidence. We used the same reference (two volumes) and just for the information of all, Dr. Jatinder Chadha has done his PhD under Dr. Khullar. This is supposed to be good book to refer to for northern India and western Himalaya.
Regards
Pankaj