[efloraofindia:35033] ENDEMIC :: Combretaceae (rangoon creeper family) » Terminalia paniculata

Dinesh Valke

May 17, 2010, 9:14:35 AM5/17/10
to efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Combretaceae (rangoon creeper family) » Terminalia paniculata (syn. Pentaptera paniculata)

ter-min-NAY-lee-uh -- from Latin terminus (end), referring to leaves at the end of shoots
pan-ick-yoo-LAY-tuh or pan-ick-yoo-LAH-tuh -- referring to the flower clusters (panicles)

commonly known as: flowering murdah, paniculate winged myrobalan • Kannada: ಕಿಮ್ದಳ kindal • Konkani: किंडल kindal, किंझोळ quinzol • Malayalam: മരുത് maruth, പുല്ലുമരുത് pullumaruth, തേമ്പാവ് theempaav • Marathi: किंजळ kinjal • Sanskrit: अश्वकर्ण asvakarna • Tamil: பில்லைமருது pillai-marutu, புல்லமருது pullamarutu, பூமருது pu-marutu • Telugu: పులిమద్ది pulimaddi, పుటకరక్కాయ putakarakkaaya

Endemic to: Western Ghats (India)

 • NPGS / GRIN ... http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?36352
 • DDSA ... http://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Views attached are from:
... Wadkhal - Alibag Road
... Sangameshwar

For more views (not so good views, while writing) : http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Terminaliapaniculata&w=91314344%40N00&m=tags

3394092961_f1c7c867e7_b.jpg
3130923934_b65799dcf5_b.jpg
3394091485_ae812029ce_b.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

May 17, 2010, 9:27:36 AM5/17/10
to bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji
Could we have close up view of fruit which is so unique in this species?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

May 17, 2010, 9:30:32 AM5/17/10
to bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia
dinesh ji
This tree looks distinctive, matching with description I read from Indian Trees (Brandis). Kindly have a look at 4 photographs uploaded by Pravin ji as T. paniculata.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dinesh Valke

May 17, 2010, 9:46:40 AM5/17/10
to Gurcharan Singh, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji,
Would like to think that Pravin ji has inadvertently put T. elliptica (or perhaps even T. arjuna).
We get to see T. paniculata starting from Pravin ji's homeland, Alibag, all down along Konkan belt and Western Ghats of Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala.

Also must be found in some restricted area of Eastern Ghats in Andhra Pradesh.

Unfortunately do not have good close-ups yet  ... attaching a cropped version of original sized photo to get a little closer, albeit blurred !!

Regards.

unfortunately do not have good close-ups yet  ... attaching a cropped version of original sized photo to get a little closer.
3130923934_5c8ca03812_o_CROPPED.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

May 17, 2010, 10:13:42 AM5/17/10
to Dinesh Valke, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia
Thanks Dinesh ji
It gave some idea.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

May 17, 2010, 10:16:27 AM5/17/10
to bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Sorry Sir but I couldn't get hold of the discussion in this thread can you kindly help me
tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Gurcharan Singh

May 17, 2010, 10:23:06 AM5/17/10
to bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Tanay
There is a mail by Pravin today in which you had also contributed:

[efloraofindia:34995] 4 pictures for you