Bombacacae for Id

Rakesh Biswas

Jul 6, 2010, 1:17:43 PM7/6/10
to indiantreepix
Huge tree in the banks of upper Bhopal lake with white flowers (more like bombax ceiba). Unfortunately we got the dried flowers in the attached picture but the stem is thornless (unlike bombax ceiba) and the fruits (in the picture) look quite different from those of bombax ceiba as well.

Will be grateful for id.

regards,

rakesh
bombacae for id.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jul 6, 2010, 1:27:17 PM7/6/10
to Rakesh Biswas, indiantreepix
Rakesh ji ... the fruits look like that of the baobab, Adansonia digitata.
Regards.

Rakesh Biswas

Jul 6, 2010, 1:46:09 PM7/6/10
to Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Thanks Dinesh Ji, Even we hit on Baobab after going through the new tree id feature in 'Flowers of India' but then the stem didn't look like a Baobab but is it possible that this is a young tree?

regards, rakesh

Dinesh Valke

Jul 6, 2010, 1:51:12 PM7/6/10
to Rakesh Biswas, indiantreepix
Rakesh ji,

Hoping some fan of Baobab trees throws light in this regard ... may be some related species, that is, some other species of Adansonia.
Please wait for comments.

Regards.

Padmini Raghavan

Jul 6, 2010, 2:09:43 PM7/6/10
to Rakesh Biswas, indiantreepix
I am attaching my pics of a huge Baobab with its fresh and dried flowers and BUDS (which look like fruit.)
At my Alma Mater, Madras Medical College, Chennai.
Pics taken on July 3rd 2010, so they are just starting to flower here.
Cheers,
Padmini Raghavan.

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 10:47 PM, Rakesh Biswas <rakesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
--
Baobab 007.jpg
Baobab 018.jpg

Rakesh Biswas

Jul 6, 2010, 10:05:54 PM7/6/10
to Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Thanks a lot Padmini Ji for this remarkable insight.

regards,

rakesh

Dinesh Valke

Jul 6, 2010, 10:28:21 PM7/6/10
to Rakesh Biswas, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Ah yes, Padmini ... mistook the buds in Rakesh ji's photo for fruits !!!
Regards.

tanay bose

Jul 6, 2010, 11:53:22 PM7/6/10
to Dinesh Valke, Rakesh Biswas, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
The specific epithet digitata refers to the fingers of a hand, which the five leaflets (typically) in each cluster bring to mind. Which can well be seen in your photo hence A digitata.
Tanay
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)